Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Finished my newest beauty "Cornflowers Quilt" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/finished-my-newest-beauty-%22cornflowers-quilt%22-t117995.html)

sash 04-23-2011 07:04 AM

Wow, that is beautiful.

ccb2200 04-23-2011 07:07 AM

Beautiful.

Peggyinno 04-23-2011 07:42 AM

That is beautiful! And all solids!! I have to stop writing and go back and look at it some more :thumbup: :lol: :lol:

katcox 04-23-2011 08:09 AM

Wow, I like and I would like to see a couple of those squares with a flower in the center for your shams. But, I'm no expert you'd have to play around to see what pleases you.

reeskylr 04-23-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by insgal62
I finished recently my new favorite quilt called Cornflowers. As soon as I saw this quilt in a book, I fell in love with it and just knew I had to make it. I have chronic back and neck pain and usually can't work too long each day, but I just could not stop working on this quilt because I couldn't wait to get it done!! The piecing of the border combined with the gorgeous center and of course my favorite part, the appliqued cornflowers just kept me working until I thought my head would fall off my shoulders!!! I fell in love with the colors as I just love purples and greens. I am going to put it in my guest bedroom. All I have left to do is make some pillow cases and pillow shams. How do you all like it??

Also, I would love some ideas as to how I should make the pillow shams. Maybe make them in white and applique the cornflowers on them?? I'd love some feedback!!

Really beautiful. I love purples :)

mommafank 04-23-2011 08:23 AM

Lovely===such pretty colors!

insgal62 04-23-2011 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I'm sure you are tired of hearing it by now, but that is a gorgeous quilt.

I never tire of hearing such wonderful kind words!! Thank you for yours and for the kind words of all!!

lue 04-23-2011 08:27 AM

AMAZING! and in my FAVORITE color--purple!

insgal62 04-23-2011 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by donnaree59
That's beautiful! I have a question, since I am ignorant to applique.... Did you make the whole quilt first, and then go back and do the applique? You must use a frame to hold the weight of the quilt while appliqueing? I was just wondering since I've never done a full sized quilt with applique. I just usually do machine applique on baby quilts.

Again, this is gorgeous!

Yes, I made the whole quilt first and then appliqued the flowers onto the quilt after. That was the hardest part, because it was a huge queen sized quilt and I had to roll up all that fabric to get it under the needle to satin stitch around all those cornflowers. It was quite challenging. But I didn't have a frame to use so after rolling it up I just had to sew slowly around the cornflowers in the center of the quilt and constantly pivot the mass of fabric back and forth to get around all the curves on the flowers. Not too easy on a quilt that size, but as you can see, not impossible. The struggle to satin stitch all those flowers down was well worth it in the long run as it really came out looking nice! Thank you for your kind words!!

diamondee 04-23-2011 08:37 AM

Wow! What great colors, AWSOME work. Dee