Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   First attempt at fmq!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-attempt-fmq-t146024.html)

gramquilter2 08-19-2011 04:47 PM

Looks good.
Remember practice-practice-practice

Quiltinelaine 08-19-2011 06:08 PM

I am a 73 yr old lady (and I thought I had my BIG Girl Panties on) but I don't come near your FMQ. Tomorrow AM I am going to tackle the BIG JOB: I do fine on my practice piece but when I come to The Real Thing, I slow down and hence all the thread on the backing::: Hoping to get better and you have certainly helped my confidence::: Thank you

4EVERquilt 08-19-2011 07:01 PM

Nice!!

juniemoon 08-19-2011 07:29 PM

Have been putting off doing FMQ. All my baby blankets have not been quilted. Always have cold feet just thinking about it.Yes, first I must go shop for big girl panties.LOL!

slk350 08-19-2011 08:54 PM

Good job, I tried it for about 15 minutes and had enough. But your work is making me want to try again.

ruthie 08-19-2011 08:59 PM

Good job. Keep it up.

KimS 08-20-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD
Great job for a newbie at FMQ. Guess I'll have to put on my big girl panties too and jump in myself. I do almost always stitch in the ditch, but I need to broaden my horizons to do FMQ. I'm inspired.

Get those panties on and we'll do this together! :thumbup:

KimS 08-20-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
Well done :thumbup: Don't those big girl panties feel good???

Yes they do!! :thumbup: :lol:

KimS 08-20-2011 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Alberta Austin
Just joined so do not know what is fmq?

FMQ = Free Motion Quilting
You use a darning foot and you're the one moving the quilt under the needle. No feed dogs....just you. Getting your foot (machine speed) and hands to move at just the right speed to keep everything in line is what you're trying to do. It's a lot of fun but it took me forever it seemed to take the plunge and I'm so happy to have finally done it. This is a great place to learn all sorts of techniques and any question you have will be answered. The people on this board are wonderful and I could have never done this without them. Have fun and welcome aboard!! :D

KimS 08-20-2011 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by SandraD
Wow - not bad! I'm still a hand quilter...too chicken to try. You did good!

Let me tell you that I've been ready to do this for months now but my mind wasn't. LOL!! When I put the quilt under that needle I was sweating bullets. The first thing that ran through my mind was the time it took to piece the top, that it was going to my son and what would I do if I messed it up beyond repair. Well....if that would have happened I'd have gotten out the good ole seam ripper and cleaned it up. Jump in and go for it! It is sooooooooo much fun that my hubby hasn't seen me in days, my 4 legged babies wonder where I've gone and my son thinks he's an orphan.....because I'm quilting. :thumbup: :lol: