Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   First Attempt at Hand Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-attempt-hand-quilting-t164427.html)

athomenow 10-30-2011 11:52 AM

If I could do that one a first, second or third attempt I would be thrilled. It's beautiful.

catrancher 10-30-2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I have to say --- you did an EXCELLENT job! My first and last time hand quilting looked like something a neanderthal would sew with a porcupine quill and reeds!!!! :mrgreen:

Now this brings quite an image to mind.

Bluebird Feathers 10-30-2011 11:56 AM

Very nice well done. i like the pattern.

catrancher 10-30-2011 12:00 PM

Thank you all for your kind comments. Actually, I am happy with my first attempt. My stitches aren't very small, however--maybe even as much as a quarter inch in spots--but they are fairly consistent. The back isn't nearly as nice. The stab stitching makes it much more difficult to get the back stitches straight and even. I noticed as I went that if I was very, very careful to have the needle perpendicular to the fabric as I stitched from back to front, I did a better job. It requires patience, however, and that has never been one of my strengths (plenty of patience with others, but very little leftover for myself).

I was a little frustrated that the instructor for my class didn't give any guidance about how many stitches per inch I should be aiming for, even though I asked this question directly. She yammered on about whether you count the stitches or the spaces, or both. I didn't care how they are counted, I just wanted a guide. Can someone answer that question for me?

To ask it more clearly: How many stitches per inch is a goal to shoot for? And when you count the stitches, are you counting the stitches and the spaces? Or just the stitches? I'd like some sort of a gauge for my progress if I decide to try this again.

crafty pat 10-30-2011 12:11 PM

You did a beautiful job.

Fraew 10-30-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltbugs
Are you kidding me? That looks WONDERFUL! And I'm not just saying that to be nice....that is great!

Where's the ditto button? :thumbup:

Great-great granny 10-30-2011 12:23 PM

This looks beautiful to me - If this is your 1st hand quilting, you do work like a pro already - I sure don't see anything wrong w/it.

Perhaps "rocking the needle" would be easier if you make sure not to have the quilt stretched too tight in the frame. Plus practice will definitely make it easier. Hand quilting is all I ever learned & some of my 1st tries would be something to cry over (just short of being "toe-nail" stitches), but over the years they became easier & more comfortable for me to do.

Have a blessed day & may all your quilts be filled w/love.

boohoofish 10-30-2011 12:24 PM

You are nowhere near the bottom if that is your first attempt! I can't "rock" the needle yet and I am going on 4 yrs of hand quilting. I think I do just fine with the stab method.

jc469273 10-30-2011 12:24 PM

I think it looks great.

QUILTNMO 10-30-2011 12:25 PM

great job