Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   First Attempt at Mariner's Compass (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-attempt-mariners-compass-t21204.html)

Angie 06-11-2009 05:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought you'd all get a laugh at my first attempt at a Mariner's Compass! I got Brenda Henning's book "Reaching for the Stars" and I decided to try one. It's really pretty simple once you get started, you just REALLY have to pay attention to fabric placement, as you will see in my pic. Just look for the white spot at the bottom of the green! :mrgreen: :evil: I'm glad I decided to make a practice block. I learned an important lesson in pp. I'm going to play with it this weekend and will post a pic of the finished block, no MATTER how it turns out!

First attempt at pp a Mariner's Compass
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36029[/ATTACH]

zyxquilts 06-11-2009 05:55 AM

Well, the white spot isn't toooo big! lol
I have done things like that in my pp too, and if you catch it early, sometimes you can sneak another small piece in there & when it's all together, you can't even tell!
Good luck with the rest of your compass!

Kj05 06-11-2009 06:05 AM

Mariner's Compass is a huge goal of mine to do someday. Good luck with it!

PrettyKitty 06-11-2009 06:21 AM

white spot? what white spot? :wink:

Looks good, I like the colours

Angie 06-11-2009 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kj05
Mariner's Compass is a huge goal of mine to do someday. Good luck with it!

Thanks! I'm going to do it for my ds, since my dd is going to get the black and white block swap quilt! I'm really looking forward to working on it. My son asked if it would be ready for his birthday............... June 15th. I told him sure........ what year! :mrgreen:

amma 06-11-2009 06:45 AM

I think you did great!!! Love the colors you have chosen, too!!! As for the white spot, we all have had that happen at one time or another pp :wink:

reneebobby 06-11-2009 06:49 AM

Love the colors and I can't wait to see the real deal.

Angie 06-11-2009 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by reneebobby
Love the colors and I can't wait to see the real deal.

I plan on working on my practice block over the weekend. Hopefully I can show it soon and let you guys help me decide if I should in fact tackle a "real" quilt for my son! Or if I should choose something else.

littlehud 06-11-2009 06:42 PM

I am impressed. The Mariner's Compass pattern intimidates me. I would love to make one but I'm too scared. Can't wait to see yours. Bet it's going to be great.

Angie 06-12-2009 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I am impressed. The Mariner's Compass pattern intimidates me. I would love to make one but I'm too scared. Can't wait to see yours. Bet it's going to be great.

I was intimidated also, but am determined to do one. I have already learned a few things! Make sure the fabric covers the area. You are working backwards so planning is EVERYTHING! I hope to finish the block this weekend and will post no matter how it turns out - good or bad!