Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   First Dresden Plate topper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-dresden-plate-topper-t118942.html)

skitter 04-26-2011 09:34 AM

Your first try turned out great

Quiltgranny 04-26-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
I love it! and you say it is easy?

Thank you. Yes, it is quite easy. There are two templates in the magazine that you cut out and tape together to give you the wedge size. Put that on top of 8 pieces of fabric and cut around it with a rotary cutter. Do this a second time, only remember to use only 7 of those wedges for a total of 15.

Straight line sewing each wedge to another in pairs of two, then four, then attaching all those together. Once that's done, layer your batting, backing and top together and pin, sewing around 1/4" from the outer edge. When finished, cut off excess batting and backing, clip inner and outer curves then pull everything through the center hole.

Then, cut your circle (from the template) for the center hole, face it with fusible interfacing (ala Eleanor Burns), then fuse and applique it down to the center. Do whatever quilting you wish, then you're done. I did it over the weekend. A nice, fairly quick and nice on your budget gift for someone. :thumbup:

Jerudy 04-26-2011 10:08 AM

I have that pattern, can't wait to try it now.....

MDMPanther 04-26-2011 10:19 AM

I love this....I'm having a thing with browns lately and I'm loving this!! Came out really nice!!!!

belmer 04-26-2011 10:53 AM

Great job! The decorative stitches are a nice touch.

Quiltgranny 04-26-2011 11:17 AM

Thanks everyone, for all your encouraging comments. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

Melinda in Tulsa 04-26-2011 11:30 AM

Great job, I'm going to have to try this!

Deb watkins 04-26-2011 11:34 AM

Well, now that you have Dresden down....there is a Dresden Flower swap!!!

mzmama 04-26-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny

Originally Posted by LoriEl
I love it! and you say it is easy?

Thank you. Yes, it is quite easy. There are two templates in the magazine that you cut out and tape together to give you the wedge size. Put that on top of 8 pieces of fabric and cut around it with a rotary cutter. Do this a second time, only remember to use only 7 of those wedges for a total of 15.

Straight line sewing each wedge to another in pairs of two, then four, then attaching all those together. Once that's done, layer your batting, backing and top together and pin, sewing around 1/4" from the outer edge. When finished, cut off excess batting and backing, clip inner and outer curves then pull everything through the center hole.

Then, cut your circle (from the template) for the center hole, face it with fusible interfacing (ala Eleanor Burns), then fuse and applique it down to the center. Do whatever quilting you wish, then you're done. I did it over the weekend. A nice, fairly quick and nice on your budget gift for someone. :thumbup:

You did a tute and didn't know it....

Jammin' Jane 04-26-2011 11:49 AM

It is beautiful. I love your colors!
Great job!