Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   first quilt! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-quilt-t64835.html)

curlyroller 09-15-2010 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by deema
That looks great!

Did you have a hard time piecing all the different types of fabric? I have a whole lot of scrap minky and satin and other such fuzzy or soft things and was thinking of doing a scrappy quilt with it some day...but I don't know how well it will piece together...

it didn't seem any more difficult than piecing similar types together. although, that may explain why some of my seams don't line up. but really, that's probably because i'm a newbie. :)

curlyroller 09-15-2010 07:52 AM

thank you all so much! you are so encouraging. i found a tutorial already for the next one i want to make. i think i'm going to turn in into a bed runner for the foot of my bed. i really don't have a big enough sewing table to make a true "blanket" sized quilt yet. :)

tooMuchFabric 09-15-2010 07:52 AM

YOU GO!! NO, YOU A.R.E. GOING!!!!

Jan in VA 09-15-2010 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bj

Originally Posted by Ms. Shawn

Originally Posted by Grammy o'5
Looks great! Your friend will love it! :thumbup: And, it's true, a walking foot is great! Just got one a few months ago and love it!

Hey Grammy, What is a walking foot and should I get one?
Thank you,
Ms. Shawn

Ms. Shawn...a walking foot is also sometimes called an even feed foot. It feeds the bottom layer of the sandwich through at the same speed as the top. Helps keep from getting wrinkles and puckers in the sandwich as you quilt. The fabric doesn't crawl as much.

The foot often looks like this. I describe it is bumble-bee-like, with a big back end. It's an extra foot that does not come with most machines, although IS built-in on some brands/models.

The reason it feeds the top layer of fabric thru at the same speed as the machine's feed dogs, is because it also has little serrated edges on the bottom of it which grasp the fabric.

Jan in VA

raedar63 09-15-2010 07:59 AM

Nice baby quilt I love oldfashioned scrappy quilts.I have a 20 plus year old kenmore machine, I couldn't find my attachments due to not sewing for years so i went to joanns ,there I got a universail walking foot for about 5 bucks,use a coupon and it will be less than that! It is great if you make handbags too.An inexpensive must for me.
Rae

freezeframe03 09-15-2010 08:30 AM

You are off to a wonderfully creative start!

Jim's Gem 09-15-2010 08:35 AM

Congratulations on getting your first quilt done!!! Looks great!

quiltinggirl 09-15-2010 09:17 AM

Way too go! Awesome job with it being your first quilt! :)

MamaBear61 09-15-2010 09:44 AM

Very nice, your friend will love it.

pgthom 09-15-2010 10:22 AM

Hey curlyroller: Great baby quilt! The bright colors, patterns and various textures are all wonderful for visual and tactile stimulation. A nice spin from the usual pastel and more traditional baby quilts (tho' I love those too!)