Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   first time of sitting down and JUST practicing FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-time-sitting-down-just-practicing-fmq-t187995.html)

Kim Bohannon 05-03-2012 03:38 PM

first time of sitting down and JUST practicing FMQ

10 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of my first time of sitting down and practicing FMQ... I have made purses and such where I had to FMQ, but this time I just put some fabrics together with the intent to practice! and I couldn't decide what to do, so I kinda did a bunch of different things... end result, a hodgepodge of FMQ!!! my first piece the tension was too loose, it had "eyelashes" on the back... but the rest of them turned out prettty well! ok, here's the pics... I'm a perfectionist, so kinda embarrased....:o
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332630[/ATTACH](eye lashes on back.. see them?)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332631[/ATTACH]first piece--front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332632[/ATTACH]random practice piece.. next few pics... including some flowers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332633[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332634[/ATTACH]loopty-loops, don't really care for this....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332636[/ATTACH]waves, or attempted waves
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332639[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332640[/ATTACH]FLOWER! I kinda like doing these
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332641[/ATTACH]first waves... like them small like this better than bigger...

more pics to come, will only let me put 10 pics per post... grrrr:)

Kim Bohannon 05-03-2012 03:43 PM

here is another pic

[ATTACH=CONFIG]332645[/ATTACH]
I like doing flowers, can you tell? lol

AZ Jane 05-03-2012 04:07 PM

The important thing is you are practicing. Many are afraid to try!

Maggiemay 05-03-2012 04:08 PM

Looks good! I have done the same thing as you & am getting the hang of it. I don't have a long arm- do you? I have a machine with a 9" throat so that helps. I have FMQ leafy vines on 2 quilts I gave as gifts & they were presentable. I just got the book "Hooked on Feathers" By Sally Terry. She has a technique for doing an easier feather for FMQ. I haven't really sat down & gotten serious about trying it out yet.

Kim Bohannon 05-03-2012 04:11 PM

sounds like fun! I will have to try my feathers pattern... I can probably just put tracing paper on top of my quilt section and fmq through it then tear paper off... might help me get the hang of feathers

vtretire 05-04-2012 01:29 AM

Good for you. You progressed very nicely. Your stitches are great. Keep up the good work.

AshleyR 05-04-2012 02:07 AM

Nice work! I don't know if you posted them in the same order you quilted them, but it looks like you did and there's improvement! I have a large quilt that I use to practice on just to "get in the zone" and I've picked many bad stitches out of it! My "reward" for learning FMQ on a quilt instead of practice sandwiches! Some day, I'll get that done and then we will actually have a quilt on our bed!

Cyber High Five for the awesome quilting!

gsbuffalo 05-04-2012 03:22 AM

good for you. I haven't taken the leap yet but really thinking about it.

Joset 05-04-2012 03:24 AM

wow your first time you did great. my first time was not good. i just kept
going until i got use to my machine and moving my arm. great job

TracyRenea 05-04-2012 03:46 AM

Inspirational! Great job!