Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   FMQ on French Braid Table Runner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fmq-french-braid-table-runner-t199325.html)

Tweety2911 09-02-2012 06:39 AM

Beautiful colors and quilting!

DogHouseMom 09-02-2012 07:39 AM

Very nice indeed! Nice even stitches too - well done.

Question ... what thread weight did you use? Looks fairly heavy ... 30 wt perhaps? And what weight did you use in the bobbin?

I love the look of a heavier weight on the top, but I prefer the look of a lighter weight on the back. I've been struggling with thread/needle/tension combinations to get the look I want with a *correct* even tension.

azwendyg 09-02-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5485512)
Very nice indeed! Nice even stitches too - well done.

Question ... what thread weight did you use? Looks fairly heavy ... 30 wt perhaps? And what weight did you use in the bobbin?

I love the look of a heavier weight on the top, but I prefer the look of a lighter weight on the back. I've been struggling with thread/needle/tension combinations to get the look I want with a *correct* even tension.

Sue~I used poly machine embroidery thread by ThreadDelight (purchased online from ABC Embroidery) top and bottom. I had purchased a set of 100 colors several years ago and often use it for quilting because I like the look of the sheen on the thread and I have so many colors to choose from. I'm pretty sure it's normal 40 weight. Some of those pics are extreme closeups so it may look heavier than it is.

The only time I have used different thread in the bottom than in the top is when I quilt with metallic thread. Then I use a fine bottom thread that matches the background or a clear poly thread so it doesn't show at all.

I have done a little bit of quilting with 30 wt. thread because I like the look also, and used it in both top and bottom, early on when I was just learning to FMQ. That was an expensive way to go and think that if when I use it again I'll probably go with a lighter bobbin thread.

I have had bad luck with some other "bargain" embroidery threads, but ThreadDelight seems OK on my machines.

I am very much looking forward to trying out the new Magnifico poly thread from Superior Threads that is coming out this month. I expect it will be top quality for sure and will post about it after I try it out.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Helen S 09-02-2012 08:21 AM

It's beautiful, and the quilting is fantastic! Nice job

burchquilts 09-03-2012 12:52 AM

Wow! What about this beautiful, dainty runner is perfect?!? Nothing! You captured "Tiffany Blue" perfectly! I love your braid & your quilting is exquisite! So delicate & airy... perfect!

heather1949 09-03-2012 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5484982)
Your tablerunner and quilting is beautiful! Lucky friend.

She sure is.

dilyn 09-03-2012 01:14 PM

Your stitches are really beautiful and even! Wish mine looked that good!

irishrose 09-03-2012 01:21 PM

Very pretty and the quilting is inspiring. I want to do feathers.

Babs194068 09-03-2012 02:47 PM

Very pretty and beautifully quilted.

Karenjane 09-03-2012 03:27 PM

How lovely, nicely pieced and quilted. What a nice treat for a friend.