Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   FMQ Practice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fmq-practice-t36328.html)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-08-2010 09:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally bought a foot and have been trying to teach myself to do FMQ. I don't really meander well. I had a bit of trouble with the top thread breaking and the foot got stuck at a few of the intersections. I suppose that's because these are crazy blocks and the interstections are a bit thick.

I think I will get this eventually, but I may have to quilt every scrap I have first!

SherriB 02-08-2010 09:23 AM

Looks like you are getting the hang of it! I feel like a failure at FMQ. Mine looks okay on the front but the back is HORRIBLE!!! I have tried changing the tension, needle and bobbin with no luck. Some where I read that there is a bobbin holder for Janome's that is just for FMQ. I am going to ask the dealer where I bought my machine if they recommend it.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-08-2010 09:27 AM

I had many tension problems, too. I just have a Wal-mart cheapie machine, so no bobbin holder. I ended up with the tension set almost as high as it would go. I just kept upping it until I got it to look decent on the back.

Marjpf 02-08-2010 09:30 AM

You are doing far better than I can. My mind just does not register the idea of random meandering. Keep up the practice.

Debra Mc 02-08-2010 09:46 AM

Looks good. Just takes pratice. I was making my stitch length too short & then I realized to make it look like hand quilted I had to lengthen it. Don't under stand about the bottom thread because you will be sewing along & it screws up then corrects its self. You don't know till you look on the back side.

Jamie 02-08-2010 09:58 AM

Looks great...keep your stich length high..your tension even..make sure your feed is down..and keep as even a speed as you possibly can, I also found that if you go to slow it turns out uneven on the back. I love doing FMQ, took me a bit of time to get it down to an art :)

Rachelcb80 02-08-2010 10:44 AM

I actually read in a few different places (can't remember now, somewhere in a Google searching frenzy) that some machines do better holding their tension settings when the feed dogs are left up. I can't say for sure that I know that to be a fact but when I was FMQ'ing on my little Brother machine, I left the feed dogs up.

You're off to a good start! I'm one that wants to get the hang of things right away. Practice annoys me but in the case of FMQ'ing, it really does just take a bunch of practice. :)

k3n 02-08-2010 10:52 AM

Hi Lisa - first off I have to say that looks pretty darn good to me - certainly miles better than my early efforts! Just wondered if you had the quilting gloves? They made a big difference to me - I have the Machingers and they're so fine, I can even thread the needle while wearing them. :-D

sewjean 02-08-2010 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a feed dog cover and have been trying to FMQ but it just is so hard to get the fabric to move! I have to pull it. What is the secret to moving the fabric easier. Any suggestions? Here is a pic of the foot I am useing. I know someone can help, please!

Jim's Gem 02-08-2010 12:24 PM

Looking good. Just keep practicing!!!