Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   FMQ-What am I doing wrong!!!?!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fmq-what-am-i-doing-wrong-t216874.html)

debcavan 03-20-2013 06:44 PM

Free Motion is fun, well when your machine is set correctly. I would check your bobbin tension that it is not too tight. Your quilt top is so pretty. Well at least it will rip easily. The "rules" say to check your tension on a sample piece. OK, I don't either.

bjiwami 03-20-2013 06:54 PM

Remember, loops on the back means your top thread tension is too loose or your bobbin tension too tight...loops on the top of the quilt means your top thread tension is too tight or bobbin tension is too loose. Making adjustments...righty tighty, lefty loosey! My advise in either case, try adjusting the top thread tension 1st. Using a practice sandwich 'til you get it fixed is always a great way to keep from having to rip things out.

mrsk 03-20-2013 10:36 PM

I too, thank everyone for their helpful tips & suggestions. I have been trying freemotion lately & I am fighting with it too. Or I should say, all goes fine for a while then , suddenly it all goes terribly wrong. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to experience problems. Well tomorrow is another day. I guess I will try again then, instead of quitting!!!!!

busy fingers 03-20-2013 10:47 PM

Make sure that you have the weight of the quilt supported. I had the same problem and when I made sure that the weight of the quilt was not dragging down things went well. I spent 2 hours ripping my mess out.

I read on this board that someone else had the same problem and they turned their sewing machine on its side which is what I did. I built up either side of the machine to support the weight.

Good luck with it.

Annaquilts 03-20-2013 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg (Post 5942152)
It looks to me like your top thread may not be actually in the tension disks, or your bobbin tension is way too high. If it was just a speed issue, those eyelashes would be more prevalent around the curves, but yours look fairly consistent throughout.

Yes this above what Wendy says.

Also it seems every machine is different. It took me years to figure out the best setting for the Janome 6500. It ended up being that I have NO problems if I leave the feed dogs up with that machine. I also do better with a slightly thinner/lighter thread in the bobbin then the top or a lighter thread in both. When quilting I also use a top stitch needle 90/14. It made a big difference for me. Maybe you can post what machine this was done on.

Dianeb1262003 03-21-2013 03:12 AM

I have done this a few times. The bobbin was put in going the wrong direction. Q or P I keep the book handy to remind me that I have to put it in a certain way. Sickening but it easy to pull out just frustrating from all the work.

nunnyJo 03-21-2013 03:24 AM

don't know but you are brave for trying to FMQ

quilter1 03-21-2013 03:25 AM

You said that you had just changed to the darning foot- did you put the foot down? It's an easy thing to forget when the feed dogs are down.

mighty 03-21-2013 06:49 AM

Every bit of advise given is good, Hope you get it resolved!!!!

dhanke 03-21-2013 02:10 PM

Does your stitch plate have a small round hole or a wide oval zig zag hole? I have similar problems if I forget to change to the small round hole plate.