Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Food Quilt by my other daughter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/food-quilt-my-other-daughter-t141165.html)

YukonViv 07-29-2011 11:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Can't talk about one daughter and leave out the other!!! No fair there LOL. Lisa, my 10 y.o., has been sewing for over a year now. Last year she went mug mat mad and did crazy patch mug mats for the family for Christmas. This year? She's concentrating on herself LOL.

She has been collecting fat quarters of food she likes to eat. She had me cut them into 6 inch squares whenever we get one.

Yesterday she discovered she had enough to start laying out her quilt. She started out by first putting the food in the shapes of the letters in her name...then realized she could use black instead for her letters and fill in the background with the food.

Unfortunately I ran out of black for, we're just a few squares shy so I'll have to pick those up next time I'm in town. It's a wonderful black that has a hint of blue marbling through it. I love using this black as it's quite rich and picks up the colour around it making it pop.

She's chomping at the bit to start her row piecing today. She's piecing the rows horizontally and is hoping to get the top half done this weekend, she's hoping actually to finish the top half today but that's only because her sister pieced a wall hanging quilt top in one afternoon, and you can't be outdown by your sister!!! (see the halloween post).

Oh I forgot to mention, she has the backing fabric already, it's a batik with peace symbols all over it. Her favourite saying as she leaves the room is "peace out peoples of the world", so this quilt is all her, front and back.

Thanks for looking! (BTW, the first picture shows one row off by itself to the right, that is actually her bottom row, she just couldn't fit it on the design wall as it was too long and she didn't want to forget how it laid out)

food quilt WIP 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233395[/ATTACH]

food quilt WIP 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233396[/ATTACH]

food quilt WIP 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233397[/ATTACH]

auntpiggylpn 07-29-2011 11:47 AM

Nice Job!!! It's wonderful!

alikat110 07-29-2011 11:49 AM

Nice

leatheflea 07-29-2011 11:54 AM

Lisa is doing a great job! That is such a cute idea, I might steal that pattern for my niece! Cant wait to see the finished quilt!

annthreecats 07-29-2011 12:00 PM

I love it.

Peace out peoples of the world!!

Dina 07-29-2011 12:07 PM

This is too cute!

SuziC 07-29-2011 12:20 PM

That is Great. I can't wait till my GD is old enough to sew with me :lol: :lol: :lol:

QultingaddictUK 07-29-2011 12:21 PM

My oh my what a talented family you have, another lovely quilt, well done.

running1 07-29-2011 12:22 PM

what a great quilt... congratulations on such a great job!

debcavan 07-29-2011 12:22 PM

That is tooooo fun.