Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Franklin Treadle Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/franklin-treadle-sewing-machine-t100382.html)

gypsyatheart43 02-16-2011 03:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My parents picked up this machine and her cabinet off the curb in the mid '70s. I've used her as a display piece/table and have never sewn on her. But she's near and dear to my heart. I don't think she was expensive but she's seen some long hours creating someone's masterpieces.

The attachments were all in the white cloth bag, which might be more valuable than the sewing machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159209[/ATTACH]

Eddie 02-16-2011 03:23 PM

Really nice, I would love to find one of these some day.

Ditter43 02-16-2011 03:38 PM

It's hard to believe somebody would put that out for the trash pickup!! I'm glad it was rescued! :D

roseOfsharon 02-16-2011 03:41 PM

Very nice, you should have it look at and a new belt installed and try her out! She is lovely.

Glenn 02-16-2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by gypsyatheart43
My parents picked up this machine and her cabinet off the curb in the mid '70s. I've used her as a display piece/table and have never sewn on her. But she's near and dear to my heart. I don't think she was expensive but she's seen some long hours creating someone's masterpieces.

If I were you I would clean it up and use it. I use my treadles all the time for piecing quilts. Very nice machine. Glenn

gypsyatheart43 02-16-2011 04:49 PM

My folks couldn't believe someone was throwing it out either. I have a desire to get her ready to run again but we're moving into our new addition (and sewing room) this week so my schedule is pretty full. Glad you're enjoying the pictures.

One funny thing is that three of the drawers have locked up so I can't check their contents. I think there are bobbins and more attachments in one of them. They should not be hard to open with the right key.

vschieve 02-16-2011 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My mother's treadle that she got when she and my dad married in 1945 is still in working order. We thought it was a goner, until one night in JoAnns I met a lady that teaches at the local Singer store in north Austin. We got to talking about everything sewing related and come to find out the owner of the store works on treadles and his brother restores the cabinets. Now my mother's had been just sitting for years and years, needed a new belt for sure, so my brother and I loaded it up on his truck bed and took it in. Cabinet doesn't need restoring for it was always inside the house. Anyway I put new ticking on this pillow as the very first project after bringing her home. Now I am piecing a quilt on it. I don't see the place to attach a picture or I would add it to this reply.

New England Queen
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116566[/ATTACH]

sueisallaboutquilts 02-16-2011 07:00 PM

Gorgeous!!! I would fix her up and use her!!! :D:D

gypsyatheart43 02-16-2011 07:14 PM

Doesn't it get tiring when you use a treadle? Seems like it would be exercise that we're not used to doing.

vschieve 02-16-2011 07:24 PM

Like any other exercise, the more you do the more your muscles get fit.