Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Freddie's Teacup Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/freddies-teacup-quilt-t152583.html)

Butterflyblue 09-13-2011 04:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Several women from church and I made this quilt for a lady who just turned 92. She is the sweetest thing, and really loved it.

I used the teacup designs from FatCat Patterns and I made all the teacup blocks. The nine-patches were pieced by the other ladies, and then I put it together and quilted it. The binding and label were done by my MIL. Some of the squares for the 9-patches were cut out by my daughter, who is 5, with scissors.

I've been doing meandering for some time, but I've been trying to branch out into other FMQ designs, and several months ago bought the book Free-Motion Quilting Made Easy: 186 Designs from 8 Simple Shapes by Eva Larkin. This is the first thing I've done from the book except practice exercises, and I thought it turned out well. It's one of the simplest designs, combined with what she calls "hops", and it looks more complicated than it is, although it took me many tries doodling on paper to figure out how to do the whole 9-patch in one continuous line.

Butterflyblue 09-13-2011 04:37 AM

The color is not really true on these pics - what looks like off-white is actually bright white, a combination of different white-on-white prints.

Izy 09-13-2011 04:42 AM

What a beauty and your free motion is fantastic! I too have got to the point where I am ready to venture..but find it scary :shock: :lol: :D

I think I will have to search for this book on Amazon so I can do 'grown up' quilting just like you!

Well done, its a gorgeous top and I bet it is even better in real life!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

ladypetite 09-13-2011 04:43 AM

Delightful! So many inspired hands to contribute. I may have to get that book as you have inspired me to step out of my box. I really like this quilt.

grendelskin 09-13-2011 04:55 AM

What a great team effort, the result is lovely. Your "hops" came out terrific!

Mariposa 09-13-2011 04:57 AM

Neat quilt! You all did a great job!!

Butterflyblue 09-13-2011 05:11 AM

Thank you, everyone! LadyPetite and Izy - the book has a lot of great tips on free-motion quilting and getting stitches even, tension, troubleshooting, etc. I will be referring to that part of it as often as the designs, I think. Read the reviews on Amazon, there is a lot of info about the book in them.

blueangel 09-13-2011 05:26 AM

Cute

Izy 09-13-2011 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Thank you, everyone! LadyPetite and Izy - the book has a lot of great tips on free-motion quilting and getting stitches even, tension, troubleshooting, etc. I will be referring to that part of it as often as the designs, I think. Read the reviews on Amazon, there is a lot of info about the book in them.

I have just bought the book on Amazon! Woo Hoo!! LOL

I did get brave on my last applique kiddy quilt (Hello Kitty) but in my wisdom used the extra fluffy minky fleece for the backing which beared up through all my stitching and distorted the top due to too much 'stretch'...always learning :lol: :D :roll:

Crqltr 09-13-2011 06:01 AM

What a wonderful gift! So thoughtful and hands on from all.