Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Free motion practice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/free-motion-practice-t53065.html)

acesgame 07-05-2010 07:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay, I really like quilting panels. They are usually very cute before I start my destruction. Here are a couple of my efforts. I really need to figure out the spacing, speed and stitch length. I know that's just everything but.... So my hair brained scheme is to get my husband to help me set up a website where I can "sell" my quilts. That way I can write off some of my supplies and perhaps a long arm to the business. Since I doubt at this level of experience that I will ever sell one, I was wondering. Does anyone know how much I have to make to call it a business? I really have made better than these, I just don't have pictures.

alittle closer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81937[/ATTACH]

some of the quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81938[/ATTACH]

just loved these fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82097[/ATTACH]

ktbb 07-05-2010 07:24 PM

good start...and cute

nlgh 07-05-2010 07:52 PM

Your accountant (or a friend who is a CPA) should be able to tell you about what you have to make for it to be a business. If you don't make enough, it is a HOBBY and not a deductible expense. I know, as my mom's ranch was not making a profit every year, and our accountant was getting concerned. Mom has been gone 5 years now, and I am about to close her estate at last.

sewnsewer2 07-05-2010 07:53 PM

You are doing great!

littlehud 07-05-2010 08:03 PM

I think your quilt is cute. You are doing a great job on your quilting. I don't know anything about business.

annette1952 07-05-2010 08:03 PM

Looks good to me! Very nice. Don't know about your business question though

jljack 07-05-2010 08:48 PM

Those swirly lines look like my "meandering" I do on my shortarm system. I like them a lot...they cover a lot of ground, and can be made to fit anything. Good work!!!

You could also try selling on Etsy, where a lot of people on this board have sites. Competition out there is extremely high, so....it's really a gamble. Think about it before you spend money on a website and all. You can do charity quilts and write off those supplies as charitable donations. Just get the organization to give you a receipt for whatever the "market value" of the quilt would be.

lindyline 07-05-2010 09:08 PM

What destruction. If only my FMQ was as even as yours.Great job!

quiltilicious 07-06-2010 03:10 AM

The quilting looks pretty good from here!

As far as business goes, you have 5 years to turn a profit or the IRS will decide it's a hobby. Howeever, the IRS does not say how MUCH of a profit you have to make (you could be in the black for 100 dollars and then it counts). The thing the IRS looks for are things like keeping proper records, how much money of yours is "at risk" in the business, and stuff like that. They will also take a closer look if you are also employed by someone else. However, I am not a lawyer or an accountant. I'm just a micro-business owner.

deedum 07-06-2010 03:54 AM

I am jealous! Your quilting is beautiful!