Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Freehand fmq feathers - great method! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/freehand-fmq-feathers-great-method-t36855.html)

azam 03-01-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover

Originally Posted by azam

Originally Posted by fireworkslover

Originally Posted by quilter girl
I got the book Sat. - thumbed through it. Am anxious to give it a whirl.

Make sure you practice on paper first - drawing, drawing, drawing - to really get the motion in your brain of how you'll go. That helps the most, I think. Have fun!

Buy a dry erase board, I have one and it's wonderful. Much less waste. :-)

Well, that's a very good idea! Good thinking.

You're very welcome, Fireworkslover!!!
;-)

Machel 03-01-2010 01:03 PM

Very nice job I may just have to get that book also. :)

wvdek 03-01-2010 01:13 PM

Oh, how'd I miss this one?
Very pretty.
Maybe when I grow up, my 6600 and I can quilt like you.

fireworkslover 03-01-2010 08:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's my quilt "Parrots, Toucans, Macaws, Oh My!"

"Parrots, Toucans, Macaws, Oh My!" front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26288[/ATTACH]

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26289[/ATTACH]

close up of back and fmq feathers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26290[/ATTACH]

Katrine 03-01-2010 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Oh, how'd I miss this one?
Very pretty.
Maybe when I grow up, my 6600 and I can quilt like you.

Same machine I'm on! Course you can!

Katrine 03-01-2010 10:00 PM

That's lovely Fireworks! Great feathering ... did you quilt from the back? I do sometimes when it's difficult to see the stitching lines because of the fabric print.
I love bird fabric, and those colours in yours are wonderful.

wvdek 03-01-2010 10:27 PM

Curious, did you stand or sit down while FMQing?

This is one area I get very nervous even thinking about doing. Need to get my confidence up to do it.

My DH is going by a JoAnn's tom. I may just have to have him check on this book with the coupon I have.

I just realized I bought some FQ's of the fabric in your larger blocks in your runner. I was disappointed they only had 4 FQ's.
Now I have a better idea of what to do with it. So pretty!

Katrine 03-01-2010 10:41 PM

Sitting - although I do raise the chair a bit when doing fmq because I find it much easier, than the height I sit at for piecing. And I think you get better control of the bulk when doing a bigger item. I am sure if you try this method it will give you plenty of confidence because it is so easy and forgiving! Make a runner and do a small item first.

k3n 03-01-2010 11:54 PM

Definitely buy this book!!! It's excellent! I just got a 6600 and have done a couple of runners with this technique - up til now I'd only done meanders and this technique is so much fun and so effective, even if you wobble (which I did - quite a lot!) LOL I'll post my runners later, just have to bind one of them.

fireworkslover 03-02-2010 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine
That's lovely Fireworks! Great feathering ... did you quilt from the back? I do sometimes when it's difficult to see the stitching lines because of the fabric print.
I love bird fabric, and those colours in yours are wonderful.

Yes, I stitched from the back. i knew I'd not be able to see where I was going if I tried from the front. Also since I found that variegated thread in the colors from the print, I knew my back needed to be a contrasting color - therefore I used black. Plus it looks good with the front.