Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Friendship Braid Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/friendship-braid-quilt-t40033.html)

PamQuilts 03-20-2010 06:42 AM

I've got to make this! It's beautiful!

mimee4 03-20-2010 06:49 AM

The color placement is great. Never thought to do a light and dark side. Good job.

Ditter43 03-20-2010 07:48 AM

Marta,
What a beautifully colorful quilt that is going to be!! And it is HUGE!!!! Great job!!

Ditter

marta 03-20-2010 07:49 AM

I love it!! I still have lots of scraps, eventho I have made a strip-piece quilt of my Mom's pattern. Also a Log Cabin quilt.
So, I have been thinking of a Pioneer Border Braid Quilt like yours. Am wondering if you can tell me about how long it took you to make it.
marta

Bev 03-20-2010 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by martapr
Actually - it was not. A friend of mine showed me how to make it. I'm sending you a sample of how it is put together. You will need to cut 2 1/2" x 5" strips of light & dark fabrics. I used my reminants. The lighter colors are on the left & darker colors are on the right. Once you have the length you need, you will need to trim the side points on each side & sew them together. I hope these instructions are clear. Let me know. Marta

Y'know, I took the workshop on French Braid from the author of the book. As I recall her name is Jane Hardy Miller, but she is called Rusty. Anyhow, it was so complicated the way she taught it that when I got home with my one panel of four that I had intended to make for a table runner, I just packed it away in my UFO box and haven't looked at it again. You make it sound so simple that I think I'll get it out and try once more. Maybe it'll be easier without the teacher standing over my shoulder telling me how to do it. To be fair, I have to say that I don't really do well in classes. I usually do better if I just watch the others and then try it when I'm all alone. I wonder if anyone else has this kind of quirk?

grammypatty7 03-20-2010 10:26 AM

Beautiful. Aren't these braids fun to make. I like to use them between sashings as part of the sashing or border on my quilts.

Friendly Quilter 03-20-2010 10:46 AM

I love scrape quilts, this really came out beautiful.

Harmony 03-20-2010 10:50 AM

Gorgeous--so bright and cheerful!

nannya54 03-20-2010 11:10 AM

Thank you for sharing the "how to" of making this design. It is just stunning. Great for scraps. You did a great job too!

martapr 03-20-2010 01:12 PM

Hi, Actually, the lady who shared this pattern w/me - simplified it and oh my gosh - it's so much easier to make. I have so many 2 1/2" x 5" strips cut out that I can probably make a full size. What a way to use up your small scraps. I too do better watching someone cut & put things together - I am a visual person & do so much better that way. Let me know how you do.
Marta