Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   'Fruits de mer' - mini quilt challenge for charity (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fruits-de-mer-mini-quilt-challenge-charity-t158599.html)

k3n 10-06-2011 10:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

One of my LQS is running a competition for customers and tutors to make a 12" square wall hanging on the theme of 'Fruit' and this is what I came up with - 'Fruits de mer' is French for 'seafood' - literally 'fruits of the sea'. I wanted my interpretation to be something NOT obvious! :lol:

The background is a piece of silk scarf I got at a car boot sale that I FMQd. Then I couched on the yarn for seaweed, some mesh partly padded out with black wadding to make a rocky sea bed, then I hand sewed on all the beads and bling to represent all the different kinds of shellfish.

The entries will all be displayed in the shop until December and customers will vote for their favourites. The 15 best ones will be displayed at an exhibition to be held in Bath, England from February until May and they will then be auctioned off for CLIC Sargent which is a UK charity whose work supports children with cancer and their families.

I had fun making this and am pleased it is for such an excellent cause. Thanks for looking. :-D

12" x 12" 'Fruits de Mer'
[ATTACH=CONFIG]267391[/ATTACH]

Close up of the shell encrusted rock
[ATTACH=CONFIG]267392[/ATTACH]

Yarn seaweed and fish
[ATTACH=CONFIG]267393[/ATTACH]

Fishies with bead 'bubbles'!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]267394[/ATTACH]

craftybear 10-06-2011 10:46 PM

very cute, great job

Linda-in-iowa 10-06-2011 10:52 PM

What a beautiful little quilt. I love it.

Maia B 10-06-2011 10:58 PM

A mini masterpiece! The colors, textures, design, quilting, and concept are all genius. I'd say winning is very likely. How lush and interesting.

Rhonda 10-06-2011 11:03 PM

Oh K I LOVE it!! You are so creative!! It is a masterpiece for sure! Too bad we can't vote for you!! we already know you are a winner!

What did the kids think of it?

Thusnelda 10-06-2011 11:15 PM

Lovely! This will certainly catch the eye between all the more obvious fruit interpretations.

Aaah, Bath, I lived there for five months in 1997 doing a language course.

k3n 10-06-2011 11:23 PM

Thanks everyone!

Rhonda, Lily especially is upset that I'm giving it away!

Bath is around an hour and 15 minutes' drive and one of my favourite cities. I hope you enjoyed your time there Thusnelda. :-D

QM 10-06-2011 11:24 PM

Great thinking! Good job.

Rhonda 10-06-2011 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Thanks everyone!

Rhonda, Lily especially is upset that I'm giving it away!

Bath is around an hour and 15 minutes' drive and one of my favourite cities. I hope you enjoyed your time there Thusnelda. :-D

well Mom should get busy and make Lily one too!! LOL

MegsAnn 10-07-2011 12:11 AM

Ooooh how fun!