Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Frustrated Quilter!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/frustrated-quilter-t23634.html)

amma 08-02-2009 06:56 PM

So sorry Rhonda, I know how frustrating that is!!! :( :evil:

Lisanne 08-02-2009 07:09 PM

This newbie likes knowing she won't be alone with things going wrong once she's experienced. Sorry it happened to you, but I appreciated seeing it.

Iluv2quilt 08-02-2009 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I am ok now. I have taken the seams back apart and will start over here in a little bit.

I had a lady tell me recently that she was intimidated by the perfect quilts she saw on her and by my work. I was thinking if you only knew!!!

So here is the proof I am not a perfect quilter!!! I have more of these moments than I care to admit!!

I'm glad you're okay now. I'm sorry this happened to you.

I am another one who is intimidated by the perfect quilting on this site. It's somewhat hard to share my quilts as I'm a new quilter as well (started in Dec 2008).

Rhonda 08-02-2009 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by suzic46

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I am ok now. I have taken the seams back apart and will start over here in a little bit.

I had a lady tell me recently that she was intimidated by the perfect quilts she saw on her and by my work. I was thinking if you only knew!!!

So here is the proof I am not a perfect quilter!!! I have more of these moments than I care to admit!!

I'm glad you're okay now. I'm sorry this happened to you.

I am another one who is intimidated by the perfect quilting on this site. It's somewhat hard to share my quilts as I'm a new quilter as well (started in Dec 2008).

The quilts I have seen from the new quilters far outstrip anything I did when I started believe me!!!!

But we are all human and make mistakes. Mine is I hate to rip and I try to only take out as little as possible and this time I didn't give myself enough room to resew the seams I needed to fix. I had to take out the whole seam which I was trying not to do. Oh well I should have known it wouldn't work!
Live and learn!

billswife99 08-02-2009 07:40 PM

I feel for you! I just spent 4 days picking out my long arm quilters stitches and let me tell you, those things were teeny tiny! :x

So glad I did it though, hope you fall back in love with this one soon.

sharon b 08-02-2009 07:58 PM

When I get so frustrated I just put it down and walk away.. take a break and sometimes a short rest gives you new perspective. If not I agree with Terri.. get the mallot out and show it who's the boss :lol:
Shaon

Rhonda 08-02-2009 08:03 PM

Love it! Show it who's boss! :twisted: :twisted:

Andie 08-03-2009 09:16 AM

when I do a pattern with a lot of seams meeting I press the seams open and find that really helps

Rhonda 08-03-2009 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Andie
when I do a pattern with a lot of seams meeting I press the seams open and find that really helps

Because I do miniatures I always iron my seams open. It really is a necessity in minis in my opinion. My problem was that I hate to rip and was trying to redo a part of a seam without starting from the beginning. I had to go back and pull all three sections apart and start over. I ended up replacing a couple of HSTs because they were not cut right. I have a friend who does prep work for me and sometimes she is not as precise as I would like but most of the time I can finagle it and fix the irregularity. This was not one of those times.
I was frustrated because I had used differant methods of fixing it and this was the 4th time I thought I had it fixed and it really came out more messed up than when I started!! I found that I had not placed the new seam in line with the original seam so it got pitched twisted.
I had to go back and start all over to get it straightened up. I hate to do that and can usually only rip a small part but it didn't work this time. Oh well. I did get it done.

This is one of 6 hot pad tops this lady ordered. I have 5 more to go.

I call this Rollling Stars I know it has a name but i don't know what it is so I named it what I wanted.

borntoquilt 08-05-2009 01:28 PM

Wow! That turned out GREAT despite your frustration. I was showing the gals @ quilting my Dresden plate top the other day. UH OH! The corner on point square was sewn differently than the others. Sooo... I spent the time yesterday taking as little of the border out as necessary, then ripped all 4 seams out and when I went to put it in the CORRECT way. It was not ON POINT anymore!! WHAT THE HECK!!!! Turns out I didn't get the PLATE part going the same direction as the other 15.. Soooooo, had to take THAT all apart, too! I HATE TO RIP!!! I would get the mallet out BUT this WAS "quilter" error and not "Fabric" error!! And after all--- who is in CHARGE HERE.. Who's the quilter and whos the FABRIC, right???? Nobody is perfect so why do we try so hard to be???? Still frustrating.. I am sooooo glad I noticed this before putting all the borders on and QUILTING it..... Would have been a RAG for sure....