Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Fun and quirky or just plain weird? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fun-quirky-just-plain-weird-t152011.html)

JanTx 09-10-2011 10:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I must have a "Girly Fishy" baby quilt for the son of a dear friend. (Long story, but .. must have this!) I've been collecting fish fabric since I first heard of the upcoming bundle of joy, but just KNEW the bundle would be male. Well, she's not. So Girly Fishy quilt.

I took in the fish fabric thinking polka dots, purples, etc. What you see is what the LQS worker put together. She's been a tremendous help so many times that I just trust her choices, even this time, even though I REALLY wasn't sure about this. I'm putting it together and I'm still not sure! It's not too late to cut bait - so to speak - so ... should I go back to purple polkas ... or ... what?

Diane on Summit 09-10-2011 10:50 PM

Not weird at all, but LOL about your 'cut bait' remark - funny! But your fabrics are great! Bright colors are perfect for babies - these are good for boys or girls.

Bluelady 09-10-2011 10:51 PM

would love to see it with the purple fabric.. But I am partial to purple..I think a lovely light purple (matching the purple fish or what appears to be lavender flowers) would go great with it!

It is great either way! I love the fishies!

JanTx 09-10-2011 10:54 PM

I really liked the purple polka dots (the same light purple you see in the fish with white dots), but there wasn't anything that really did well for the other fabric in the 4 patch. That's why we switched gears. I could do it with just the two fabrics - just alternating blocks of each...

BETTY62 09-10-2011 10:55 PM

It looks great the way it is, however, if it would make you feel better using purple poka-dots in the design, go for it.
I think getting to choose the fabric that one uses in making a quilt is what I like best about quilting.

JanTx 09-10-2011 11:05 PM

Well, Fellow Texan Betty - I'd love for you to be close by because kits were made for me! I DON'T like choosing the fabrics. I can handle it when they come in coordinating sets, but other than that I second guess myself crazy! That's why I use the staff of the quilt shop so much. I thought I'd gotten good at putting 3 fabrics together - a focus and two blenders, but lost that in this one this time. This baby being a girl is just not what I had in mind!

The young man who is the dad-to-be is the son of my dearest friend. I thought we would someday be visiting him in jail. He threw rocks at an empty house next door to me and broke some windows when he was about 8. By the time he was 18 he was mowing my grass - just because it needed it and he knew we were busy. Now at 28 he's an elementary PE teacher and a dad-to-be. How awesome is that? But ... a baby girl, huh? Hmmmmm. Pooey!

MegsAnn 09-10-2011 11:53 PM

You're the artist. If you don't like what you're making, change it!

Chele 09-11-2011 03:45 AM

I love it! The fabrics are great.

blueangel 09-11-2011 03:48 AM

It's great

mizkyp 09-11-2011 04:35 AM

I love it!!!! The bright colors are wonderful!!!