Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Gail's Koi Pond (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/gails-koi-pond-t309883.html)

feline fanatic 02-23-2020 02:31 PM

Gail's Koi Pond

4 Attachment(s)
My friend Gail made this top. Not only is it drop dead gorgeous, it is very unique. She made the background "fabric" out of silk fibers and a special glue, then draining and drying it on fine screen. Like making paper. So it was very stiff and left needle holes so I only had one shot. No ripping out quilting on this and I couldn't mark it either. :shock:😱I
I watched this quilt progress from conception to making the fabric paper to watching it come together. With much trepidation because she already told me I was her longarmer for it. I wasn't sure I wanted to due to the restrictions of no marking and I couldn't screw up!
She gave me several practice pieces which I insisted on given the nature of the fabric paper. The applique koi are prepared (turned) applique then machine stitched to the background. They are done in silks, cottons and some of that silk
paper fabric. The algae is tulle that she machine stitched to the background and then trimmed it. While quilting this I had to hold it out of the way with one hand while I quilted close to it with the other. I tried masking tape but it wouldn't stick and I wasn't about to try anything stickier because it would pull fibers from the silk fabric paper.
I sketched the basic idea on a photo, auditioned with clear plastic layover and away I went.

Techy stuff: Quilted with Rheingold 40 wt poly thread on top, magnaglide prewound 60 wt in the bobbin and QD request cotton batting. All free hand done on a 26" Innova standup longarm with L/S.

First time trying to post pics since new format. Hope this works!

Iceblossom 02-23-2020 02:33 PM

Super awesome from both of you! Otherwise, I don't have sufficient words to say :)

Tish05 02-23-2020 03:04 PM

Wow! That is amazing. I love the back shot that shows the quilting, and the idea for the algae is awesome! Beautiful job on the quilting and the design/piecing.

Tartan 02-23-2020 03:40 PM

It is gorgeous! It may have been nerve racking but you conquered it !

granky 02-23-2020 03:49 PM

Breathtakingly (is that a word?) beautiful!

Barb in Louisiana 02-23-2020 03:59 PM

Wow!!!! Everything about that piece is so interesting and beautiful. Thank you for sharing the story and the wonderful pictures.

tallchick 02-23-2020 04:09 PM

Magnificent and your quilting really makes it a true work of art, amazing!

Christine- 02-23-2020 04:50 PM

Wow, I love the quilting you used. It totally makes the quilt.

quiltingshorttimer 02-23-2020 06:20 PM

that is wonderful! As usual, your quilting is perfect--I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to attempt quilting on that background. you did a great job--did the background fabric paper have any fraying as you stitched? Also, I'm not familiar with Rheingold thread--why did you choose it? Thanks!

LAF2019 02-23-2020 07:26 PM

That is an amazingly gorgeous quilt! and your quilting perfectly enhanced it.