Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Gee's Bend Rooftop....quilted by Charisma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/gees-bend-rooftop-quilted-charisma-t147248.html)

charismah 08-23-2011 06:21 AM

6 Attachment(s)
G sent me this quilt from the Jersey shore for LAQ>

The note enclosed says "It is meant to be irregular and scrappy with not so straight seems. The history of the pattern is from women slaves of a cotton plantation in Alabama. They make quilts from old clothes. My quilt is reminiscent of blue jeans, coveralls and T-shirts. " I also believe in our correspondence she told me this is a rooftop and the red square represents the chimney.

So in the red the quilting represents bricks...we had discussed just a wavy crosshatch sort of a grid to represent roof tiles or shingles....it wasn't looking right...This design I think represents the shingles...and matches the quilts piecing....they are like intertwined tiles...Very interesting quilt.

I quilted this freehand on my INNOVA. I used cotton batting.

Thanks for looking!

blueangel 08-23-2011 06:25 AM

Neat

Cyn 08-23-2011 06:28 AM

I like it :)

debcavan 08-23-2011 06:28 AM

Very different, love the chimney. I would tend to reproduce them but do straight straight lines. Oh the quilt police have done a number on me.

charismah 08-23-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by debcavan
Very different, love the chimney. I would tend to reproduce them but do straight straight lines. Oh the quilt police have done a number on me.

LOL> ME TOO! But it is because we are long arm quilters..quilting crooked seems goes against the grain....plus it doesn't gives us a lot of freedom to do what we want....this isn't easy to quilt.

tealfalcon 08-23-2011 06:51 AM

So cool....I know about gee's bend quilts

feline fanatic 08-23-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by charismah

Originally Posted by debcavan

LOL> ME TOO! But it is because we are long arm quilters..quilting crooked seems goes against the grain....plus it doesn't gives us a lot of freedom to do what we want....this isn't easy to quilt.

Me three! No way would I make an intentionally out of square wonky quilt, especially since I started LAing. I equate trying to quilt an out of square quilt with herding cats. I have 5 cats so can vouch for their "un-herdability". :lol:

charismah 08-23-2011 09:21 AM

It's an expression....a piece of art. So sometimes we have to think outside of the box. We all have our own voice. It's a great piece.

luckylindy333 08-23-2011 03:37 PM

I like it- beautiful quilt and wonderful quilting! I want to make one of these... I don't think it would be hard to make non-straight lines :-) :-) :-)

MelodyWB 08-23-2011 03:38 PM

I love it..again..lol..!!