Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Given to me today--great grandmother's quilts. Rough shape. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/given-me-today-great-grandmothers-quilts-rough-shape-t44333.html)

barnbum 04-29-2010 02:36 PM

24 Attachment(s)
Background: My maternal grandmother died in May 2005--just before her 95 birthday. She loved to talk quilting, but never made a quilt herself. I visited her once a week for years and years, and would often take new fabrics and tops to show her. It gave us something to talk about and she'd give me ideas on how to quilt things. Because she's gone is why I need all of you.

My mother died in 1997 at the age of 61. She was the youngest of three sisters. None of them quilted. The middle sister, Lorna (75 years), is moving for the first time in over 40 years, so the oldest sister, Barbara (80 years), came up from NC to see her before she moved. Lorna called me a few days ago to ask if I wanted some old quilts she had, made by my great grandmother. She always meant to do something with them, but never did. I said sure. She would give them to Barbara to give to me. Well, Aunt Barbara and Uncle George just left and here is what they brought.

There are some rough spots. Any advice/suggestions anyone can give me would be appreciated.

I'm a bit teary right now... just missing my mom and grandma. Sigh...

Lots of stitches!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24402[/ATTACH]

See the one piece of that same fabric?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24404[/ATTACH]

Yikes.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24405[/ATTACH]

I love the sashing design!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24475[/ATTACH]

It's just this fabric in this quilt that is worn away.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24477[/ATTACH]

I want to tell her I like that background fabric.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24480[/ATTACH]

This is the same design, but the fabrics blend so.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24481[/ATTACH]

Interesting how one fabric all wears sooner. Wonder if it was worn from the start?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24482[/ATTACH]

I love to see how some blocks are more scrappy than others.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24547[/ATTACH]

Such a pretty block with lovely echo quilting.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24548[/ATTACH]

Quilt 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24549[/ATTACH]

Quilt 2--just like the scrappy strip patterns we do today!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24550[/ATTACH]

Quilt 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24551[/ATTACH]

So worn out. Tired block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24553[/ATTACH]

I just have no idea how to fix them, or if I want to. There's something nice about the way they are, something historical.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24554[/ATTACH]

This must have been one loved quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24555[/ATTACH]

Overlander 04-29-2010 02:47 PM

The quilts are beautiful. Do you think it would be possible to patch the worn spots by making pieces the same size and appliqueing them on? I don't know any other way of fixing the worn areas. Cherish them, such wonderful memories

LeslieSkelly 04-29-2010 02:56 PM

Nice quilts....Love that they are old and loved and from family.

barnbum 04-29-2010 02:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These are the three my dad gave me after Gram died. He said grandma was storing them in his attic. We assume her mother made them--the same person who made the others. These are in much better shape. I keep them covered and hidden. Kind of sad--but I'm scared to do anything with them.

Yo-yo.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24556[/ATTACH]

This one is my favorite of all of them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24558[/ATTACH]

sewsilly 04-29-2010 02:59 PM

What a lovely memory for you to cherish.

rootyr 04-29-2010 03:01 PM

What treasures!

amma 04-29-2010 03:14 PM

What gorgeous quilts!!! :D:D:D I would be tearing up too (((HUGS)))

I wonder if appliquing new fabric onto the old would stress the older fabrics more, if you were planning on using rather than displaying them... Other wise, that is what I would do, matching fabric as best as I could.

Such beautiful heirlooms :D:D:D

Elsie 04-29-2010 03:25 PM

they are nice though they even look like they were hand quilted i wonder if it was hand piecing too

mrspete 04-29-2010 03:30 PM

oh how blessed and hand stitched.

Shemjo 04-29-2010 03:32 PM

Beautiful! Be very gentle with them. Reaearch restoring quilts, and then decide which way you want to proceed.