Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Goodwill find - clearance sale! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/goodwill-find-clearance-sale-t120963.html)

kriscraft99 05-06-2011 09:16 AM

wow!! that is an awesome find!! congratulations :)

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
Found these in Goodwill yesterday. They are kits from JoAnn's, all unopened and brand new. There were only 7 different patterns of the original 12 blocks of the month, but there were multiples of each pattern that they had.

They were marked $2.00 a piece. I was trying to decide how many to buy when I realized that the green tags on them meant they were 75% off, which made them 50 cents a piece! There were 40 packages altogether. I took them all, thinking even though I don't have all 12 different blocks, I can put several of the same ones together and be creative with them and make a pretty unusual quilt!

I have done these Joann's Block of the month kits before and while they aren't the best of quality fabric, they are fun to do for something quick and easy.

40 block of the month packages for $20!!

quilter1943 05-06-2011 09:45 AM

Goodwill buys merchandise from large chain stores - Target, Bealls, Sears, not sure who else. The tags are usually still on the items. Be careful with clothing though because a lot of it is seconds or damaged if the store can't sell it. The quilt blocks were a fantastic deal!!!

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
The large "corporate" Goodwill stores have sections of "new" mdse. I guess manufacturers and/or stores donate their older mdse,etc vs. pitching it. Maybe Goodwill buys at a good price too. I dunno.
congrats on a cool find!
sandy

katyquilter 05-06-2011 09:47 AM

Great fine. Have fun putting them together.

Sharon - NC 05-06-2011 09:53 AM

Wow! What a great deal. Going to go to Goodwill after work tonight and see what I can find!

Stitchit123 05-06-2011 09:56 AM

You gotta love a good score at a second hand store I think I hear the start of a song here :thumbup:

karenpatrick 05-06-2011 10:12 AM

What a find.

pdcakm 05-06-2011 11:04 AM

great deal. i bought several sets from a country store at a local quilt show for about the same price. like you say, good way to get a quick quilt.

remember you are not locked into the pattern that comes with, you can be adventurous and try some different patterns with the same fabric. you can even search for the patterns they show but you did not receive. some of them are just simple patterns available elsewhere.

have fun.

Central Ohio Quilter 05-06-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by pdcakm
remember you are not locked into the pattern that comes with, you can be adventurous and try some different patterns with the same fabric. you can even search for the patterns they show but you did not receive. some of them are just simple patterns available elsewhere.

Oh, I am VERY adventurous! I seldom make anything exactly the way any directions tell me to, from sewing, to quilting to cooking!

Once before, I got several of a different set of a Joann's block of the month on clearance at a Joann's store, There were not all of the sets there, and no setting kit either. I just bought a few extra blocks of the month and made up my own blocks to make up for the missing ones. Then I looked for "coordinating" fabric for the sashing, borders and binding. It turned out great looking.

I will have fun being creative with this one also!

bkaren6020 05-06-2011 11:35 AM

You got a wonderful buy. I put this quilt together and it is beautiful.. Have fun.

connie d 05-06-2011 12:26 PM

Great finds. :):):)