Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Graduation Cake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/graduation-cake-t133501.html)

Thumbelina 06-28-2011 06:20 AM

Pretty cake. I don't think I could cut into it. Congratulations to the graduate. :thumbup:

lheartsl 06-28-2011 06:21 AM

wow, beautiful! you do nice work!

GABBYABBY 06-28-2011 06:27 AM

Beautiful!!!!! I wished my hands would allow me to
do this kind of work. Old Arthur has a way of stopping
you from doing the things you love.

llong0233 06-28-2011 06:40 AM

I say you qualify for the "professional" level. I've seen less creative and not as pretty cakes on the Food Network made by professionals. Way to go!!

BeeNana 06-28-2011 06:42 AM

A most gorgeous cake. Thanks for sharing you talents and what a wonderful time to share with the family.

d.rickman 06-28-2011 06:43 AM

Lisa, I am so impressed with everything you do, seems to me that all you touch turns to gold - your efforts here are stunning..one of your fans I remain!! Congradulations to your graduate!!!

rvsfan 06-28-2011 06:53 AM

That is as beautiful as any quilt. And probably just as much work.

grammysharon 06-28-2011 06:58 AM

It is so pretty and I love it, bet she did too! :D

lisamortell 06-28-2011 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by peacequiltingnana
Is there any possibility you would be willing to post a tutorial on how to do those pictures? Or is there a website we could learn from. Thanks for any help you can give. The cake is just beautiful and the pictures make it so special!

This is simple but time consuming.
First you have to have someone print them out for you on a special eatable art printer that used food coloring instead of ink. I went to my local Fred Myer store and the ladies in the bakery do it for me they charge $8 a page. Then you have to cut out the photos the size you want then to be. Roll out gum past to a pretty thin sheet. Carefully get the gum past wet just where you will put the photo down this will adhere it to the gum past. Then I use my ravioli cuter to cut around the photo. Then I put it on a cookie sheet that I have powdered with cornstarch and powdered sugar (I mix this together 1 to 1 and put it in a new nee-hi) to dry. You have to wait a day or to two before you do the next step because it has to be dry. Now I use a #3 round tip and pipe a snail trail of royal icing around the edge this make the frame. Now you have to wait a day for that to dry. The last step it to use gold (or any color you want) luster dust and mix it with vodka to make a paint. Just paint it on the frame and let it dry. I always do the photos about a week before the cake I normally do them when I do the followers because all that needs to dry. I just glued then to the fondant with leftover royal icing. If anyone need additional help and wants to make these then can just PM me and I could call you if you need more help.

kim_s 06-28-2011 07:08 AM

That is so cute! Hopefully it was gently eaten..... :D