Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   "Grammy Quilt" for my soon to be adopted nephew (I HOPE) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/grammy-quilt-my-soon-adopted-nephew-i-hope-t266187.html)

cathyvv 06-08-2015 03:28 PM

"Grammy Quilt" for my soon to be adopted nephew (I HOPE)

2 Attachment(s)
My mother, aka Grammy, swore she would live until my youngest brother's oldest daughter had her first baby. She wanted to see my baby brother become a grandfather.

Alas, she missed the mark by 4 years. However, she left a small collection of UFO/Orphan blocks. My sister and I used one set for my youngest grandson's arrival; my son was in tears when he read the label and found out that the blocks were made by Grammy. Didn't expect that, but it was nice to see.

Last summer, my niece (youngest brother's daughter) and her husband became foster parents for a two week old boy. The intent was/is to adopt. I told my brother that I have blocks Mom made and could make up a quilt in no time to welcome him to the family. My brother asked that I wait until the adoption is final. (Don't worry, he got a "Welcome to the World" quilt from me anyway.)

We are hoping that by the end of the summer, the adoption will be completed and he will officially be a member of our family. Here's the quilt he will get. The center blocks and the red polka dot sashing were done by my mother. The rest is my work.

Seems like my Mom and I finally found a way to work well together (yes, we had a loving, but edgy, relationship.):thumbup:

maryb119 06-08-2015 03:31 PM

Beautiful quilt! It's a wonderful way to welcome a new little one. Congratulations

QUILTNMO 06-08-2015 03:55 PM

beautiful quilt!!

red-warrior 06-08-2015 04:02 PM

Your mom is smiling down I am sure! What a wonderful welcome!

QuiltnNan 06-08-2015 04:18 PM

nicely done

Mariposa 06-08-2015 04:27 PM

A special quilt for your special little guy! :)

redquilter 06-08-2015 05:47 PM

It's a wonderful quilt. Good luck with the adoption. It's a beautiful thing to adopt a child in need of a loving home.

EvelynB 06-08-2015 05:54 PM

How very sweet! My DD has been trying for 8 years and after a major illness last year I was worried I'd never see her have a baby. But this week I'm on vacation with them and she's 12 weeks along. I've made five quilts and a dozen blankets hoping for this day. Stuffed my hope chest with dreams and it's wonderful to share their joy. Got a grandbaby girl on the way! I know your happiness. Wish my Mom was here to share in it too.

Fotoula 06-08-2015 05:55 PM

Very pretty quilt!!!

FabStripper 06-08-2015 06:34 PM

This quilt is so sweet. I really like the blocks your mom made and the way you made the quilt. It really is hard to tell it was made over a period of time. I love love love love your quilting on this quilt! And I smiled with you when I read that you and your mom finally found a way to work together. I have a friend who says her dad and her will get along one day and she doesn't know when but she knows how. She had to explain that to me and I've never heard it again until just now. Lol.