Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Grandmas quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/grandmas-quilt-t6915.html)

Knot Sew 05-07-2008 02:04 PM

Beautiful I wish I had some of my grams stuff............you are very fortunate :D

RocketScientist 05-07-2008 02:10 PM

So beautiful! My mother's grandmother made a quilt of that pattern, and I have it still. Some of the pieces were starting to wear out a few years ago, and my MIL fixed it for me as a surprise gift.

MissTreated, I'm trying to finish a cathedral window quilt that my mother started. It's going to take some more years to do, since I only work on it when I don't have access to a sewing machine!

Margaret

barnbum 05-07-2008 02:27 PM

I recognize that pattern because an waaaaay former boyfriend, I'm talking 1977, made one for "us" expecting (hoping?) we would marry. It had blue in the background. She made the beautiful quilt by hand, and a pillow. She gave me the pillow. My mom knew I loved that quilt, so when I broke up with the young man, my mom went to the grandmother and asked her if she'd sell it to her--but she said no. I never knew my mom did that till years later.

The pillow was loved on for many years, but it finally fell apart in so many places--just worn out--I tossed it. I didn't quilt back then. But it was pretty worn.

Such memories from your photos!!

I have three old quilts my dad gave me--I don't know what relative made them. I don't know what to do with them! I have no where to put a quilt rack and not a smidgen of wall space left. But I'll think of something some day.

rein 05-07-2008 02:39 PM

That quilt is totally awesome! Thank goodness you found it and have saved all the pieces. I would give my eye teeth to have some of the items my grandma made - she did not quilt - but did tatting and I have one very small doily I am quite certain she made.

jbsstrawberry 05-07-2008 03:41 PM

Its so beautiful! I bet Grandma will be so proud that you have it, and would be extremely tickled to watch you finish it!! (Yes, I do believe that our loved ones are always with us, watching , comforting and guiding :D)

barnbum 05-07-2008 03:42 PM

(Yes, I do believe that our loved ones are always with us, watching , comforting and guiding )
Sigh--that'd be nice.

mgshaw 05-07-2008 03:54 PM

Sara Street- You lucky girl those are awesome

Jaynie- absolutely gorgeous, I have never seen one with the small flowers Its great

As to people who toss these wonderful finds, It makes you wonder what the heck goes on in a non-quilters mind!!!!!! :x

I really do want to finish Grandmas quilt but it scares the heck out of me at the same time, You know what if I ruin it!!!

mgshaw 05-07-2008 04:37 PM

Loretta, how are you quilting it, outlinw, stitch in the ditch or something totaly different?
I deffinately want to see pics when you get done

tlrnhi 05-07-2008 05:29 PM

What great finds!

mgshaw 05-07-2008 06:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
this is my husbands treasure, his great grandmother made it for him when he was very little