Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Grids & Grommets Bag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/grids-grommets-bag-t82567.html)

reach for the stars 2 12-13-2010 02:02 PM

Great bag love the colors

maryel 12-13-2010 02:28 PM

Very nice work. Looks great!

twospoiledhuskies 12-13-2010 06:16 PM

love the color choices in both - crazy for batiks.

Yes, yes, pleeeezzzzeeee tell us the tricks :-D

montanajan 12-14-2010 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by twospoiledhuskies
love the color choices in both - crazy for batiks.

Yes, yes, pleeeezzzzeeee tell us the tricks :-D

I can demo this much more easily than writing it out, but I'll try... Maybe someday I'll snap pics as I make another bag & post them if anyone wishes. See previous note above - listed already some of the things that worked for me. In addition - here are more ideas:
* Variations in strip lengths does not matter - simply use rotary cutter & ruler to even out ends of strips after all are sewn on.
* If strips & lining extend 1/2 inch beyond sides of batting, side seams will not be so bulky.
* Sewing side seams - after inside pockets are first sewn in place:
1) Fold length of bag in half right side out
2) Sew 1/4" side seams - raw edge will show on outside of bag at this point.
3) Turn bag inside out, so lining is outside.
4) Stitch just over a 1/4" seam down the bag sides - you have now hidden the side raw edges.
5) Check from right side - if any of raw edge is still showing on side seams, go back repeat step 4 with a smidge deeper seam.
*Creating bag base -
1) turn inside out. Fold so a point is made at base of one side seam. Center bottom of the side seam with middle of bag base & mark line across this - maybe 7" across for nice base of bag. You now have a big folded point at bottom of side seam. I will try to post a drawing.
2) Sew across drawn line & repeat for other side seam.
3) Either cut off the big point you just made & zigzag raw edge, or fold in the points & tack in place to lining base to give bag more sturdy bottom. I've done it each way & it really doesn't matter. BTW, my friends said the bag should be called the "it-doesn't-matter bag" because I said that so many times as I was showing them how to make the bag.
*Variations -
1) sew all the strips diagonally on the batting for totally different effect.
2) Add a wide (use batting in it) contrasting border around top edge before marking grommet placement.
3) Use reversible pre-quilted fabric - no strips to cut & sew on, no batting to add.
*Note of interest - there are 2 grommet bag patterns I have seen. I like "Grids & Grommets". The other tells you to cut out a section at the bottom of side seams that will then be sewn to create the bag base, but I prefer the way described above only because I don't know how to do the other way. :+)
Too much info, but don't know how else to describe the process.
Good luck! Jan