Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/group-obw-floral-master-fabric-t92198.html)

QM 01-20-2011 11:37 PM

Stunning!! I wasn't nearly as impressed with the fabric as with the results. Good for each of you. I have a OBW on my to do list, just haven't gotten there yet.

k3n 01-21-2011 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
I am going to go to Hancock's and Joann's if necessary to find it (have printed off a picture just to make sure I get the right one), but how much do I need to get? I know it depends on the size of the finished quilt, so what do I need for a double? If I can find the fabric I will join in when I finish the Dances with Waves Project Linus quilts and an outfit for my granddaughter.

The amount of fabric depends on the pattern repeat - this has a 12" repeat and you need 6 so that is 2 yards of fabric. But this will only come up at approximately 42" square for the centre. Obviously you can enlarge this with borders. What you could do is layer up double repeats. This would give you twice as many blocks to play with. Then you'd need 4 yards. I always get a yard extra for borders or just in case I make a boo boo! I've even made a matching tote in the past from the original fabric - if the quilt is a gift, it's a nice way to present it. So I'd say get 5 yards.

I would also strongly recommend that you get one of the books if you haven't already. If you follow the link in my opening post, you'll find all the details. :-D

Really hope you can get some of this elusive fabric and join in! :D :D :D

k3n 01-21-2011 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai

Originally Posted by Rann
ONe question. If I want to do one, how much fabric do I need to start/do it?

I think k3n said the repeat is 12 inches, so 2.5 yards will do it. When I saw this fabric, I just knew it would be great for an OBW, but I don't think k3n was that enthused with the fabric at first, LOL! I'll stop by two different Joanns in the morning when I get off work and see if they have any more. I got the fabric around September or October, I think. And I'll join in the OBW group as soon as I finish the Blooming 9 Patch I'm working on right now.

Absolutely right. See my post above if you want to make it bigger! And I was SO enthused!!! I was just so carried away by all the leaf that you sent me and the fish which I THOUGHT you'd sent me! :mrgreen: So there! :mrgreen:

k3n 01-21-2011 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by ljorange
I'm planning to go to Joanne's tomorrow, hope I can find some of the fabric. Great idea to do it together, will be fun to see the different ways to put them together. I doubt I could keep up though, I'm slow!

Hey hope you can join in! We're all working at our own speeds and there's NO deadline to finish! :D

k3n 01-21-2011 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
what size finished quilt will this make and how many yards did you begin with?

I'm getting three strip sets of 3 3/4" wide across the WOF, yielding 19 hexes per set. So 57 hexes total. If you lay them out 7 x 7 (leaving a few halves for the edges) that will finish at about 42" square. Then borders can go as big as you like. :-D But I never know what size or shape mine will end up until I start working with the layout. :D

plainpat 01-21-2011 02:29 AM

Would love to join in, but looks like a few days till I can get to Joanns.Had snow yest & it's gonna be a dicey wk end. The fabric isn't available on line.Your blocks are sooo pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by k3n
It turns out that a few of us on the Board have got this fabric to make a One Block Wonder quilt so we thought it would be fun to post our progress all together on one thread! The fabric is called Floral Master and is by Springs Creative Products. Gaigai sent me mine but I think it's from JoAnns if anyone else feels like getting some and joining in. Correct me if I'm wrong someone!

Anyway, for those who don't know, a One Block Wonder or OBW is a kind of kaleidcoscope quilt similar to stack n whack. There is a Topic List here on the board and a brief description about them with details of the books here http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual_section_list.jsp

I think we'll all be using the technique from the One Block Wonder books by Maxine Rosenthal. See my link above for more info.

So far it's me, imjustme and NUTMEG10 who are taking part plus nena in a couple of weeks. I know another lady has the fabric and I'm waiting to hear from her. Meanwhile, here's a pic of the fabric and my first blocks. Looking forward to seeing pics here on this thread from the other ppl with this fabric. It will be interesting to see the differences as we go along! :-D

purple_butterfly 01-21-2011 02:32 AM

This is great :thumbup: . I can't wait to see how they all turn out :-D

rootyr 01-21-2011 02:39 AM

Oh my, they are lovely!!

fireworkslover 01-21-2011 04:01 AM

Ooooh Yummm, I love those colors! This will be fun to follow along your progress.

Nanjun 01-21-2011 04:45 AM

How much fabric does this one take?