Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Half Yard Challenge Wall Hanging (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/half-yard-challenge-wall-hanging-t4167.html)

Chele 01-21-2008 06:57 PM

Very pretty! Love the fabrics! You do such nice work!

Shari1967 01-21-2008 07:09 PM

Very nice. I really like that.

MissTreated 01-21-2008 07:50 PM

Nice work and VERY nice colors. It's so warm!

M

Tiffany 01-21-2008 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Just what were the secrets to making it so perfect? Hmmmm?

We went through how to cut fabric without elbows, how to correctly use the ruler to cut. I know that sounds funny but many people put the line on the outside of the fabric and the black lines of the ruler should line up exactly on the edge of the fabric to get a perfect cut. Never use your mat to measure as they are not accurate. I learned that one the hard way. :roll: When setting each piece together to sew, the bottom piece should NOT show. I used to leave a thread of the bottom just peeking out to help me line things up but learned that was a no no & in fact can really make a difference in the final measurements of the quilt. Once I started laying each piece exactly on top of the other I got better, more accurate results.

One of the main keys to making things perfect is the quarter inch seam. It always pays to measure the seam line when using a new foot or machine. I had a quarter inch foot once that did not sew a quarter inch, which was extremely frustrating, especially since I didn't think to check my foot & was pulling out my hair! If my girlfriend had not suggested measuring the accuracy of my foot I would have never thought about it. I just assumed they were correct. I mean come on, they're Quarter Inch Feet. Duh. Except the duh was on me. If your machine does not sew an accurate quarter inch you have to make adjustments, either by moving the needle (if your machine allows for this) or by drawing a line (permanent marker) or putting some kind of pad where the quarter inch is to guide your fabric by. I've used post-it notes in a stack and I've used the Dr. Shoal's inserts cut in a straight line and stuck to my machine. Thankfully my new machine and quarter inch foot actually work so I no longer have to resort to such tricks.

And for getting those perfect points, you have to be aware of where your sewing line is and not let it drift when you are sewing the end of your piece. You know that time I'm talking about, when you are almost finished with one piece and are reaching for another to continue sewing. You (generic 'you') should always finish sewing one piece and then reach for the next set your are going to sew. It makes a big difference though it does slow things down a bit. Does that make sense? I sure hope so.

All in all, it's just basically little tips like that which work the best. Most people don't make huge mistakes when they piece. It's the little things that trip us up and get us all in trouble. And I definitely include myself in there! :lol:
~Tiffany

Celeste 01-21-2008 09:24 PM

First off, I agree with Jasmine!

Second, thank you for the mini lesson! (now I have to check MY quarter inch foot, and what a bummer I can't use the lines on the cutting mat!)

treasurelady 01-22-2008 01:07 PM

Tiffany, your block is so professional. I know what you mean about how important it is to watch how the end of the block goes off. It tends to drift off line and you have less seam allowance than at the beginning and middle of the block. I've been using a point thingy to hold the end of my block and keep it straight. I've also been more careful about keeping my seams at 1/4 inch and noticed on the quilt top I completed yesterday that my intersections meet far better now. I completed the whole top without having to use my seam ripper at all!!!!! I've made several that I ripped out as much as I sewed. LOL! I guess if I keep at this for the rest of my life I might one day have really good results. In the meantime, I enjoy my quilts and those who've received them have been appreciative. Perfection will not be realized in this lifetime. But the production of colorful and useful and (to me) beautiful quilts is quite satisfying. Thanks for sharing your delightful block. Linda

cutebuns 01-22-2008 02:54 PM

absolutly spectacular. I have no one here to set a challenge with. Plus with 10 or so quilts to do, don't know if I have the time.

bj 01-22-2008 03:01 PM

I think I'll borrow your idea for my next baby quilt. I like the layout and I love doing stars in the middle. Your turned out so nicely. Thanks for sharing.

SewSew2 01-22-2008 06:20 PM

You did not do pretty good you did awesome. Great eye for color. Now make more blocks and turn them into a beautiful quilt.

Blue Bell 01-22-2008 07:00 PM

A great wall hanging. Superior work. Great fabric selection. Wonderful!