Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Hand quilted Mariners Compass WIP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/hand-quilted-mariners-compass-wip-t127559.html)

feline fanatic 06-02-2011 02:32 PM

12 Attachment(s)
I have been working on this quilt for my brother for the past 4 years. I am getting towards the end and simply couldn't wait to share it with you all. I hope to finish by August so I can enter it into two local quilt shows. I have a lot of pictures to show of it for all the details in the quilting. Now I just need to decide on the border quilting. I have sketched out a wave that looks very much like the famous Japanese woodblock "The Great Wave of Kanagawa". I have posted pics of the dragon and tiger a few times on the board. This quilt is a gift for my brother and is based on his tattoos.

I designed the quilt myself and used the freezer paper piecing technique from Judy Mathieson's book Mariners Compass Quilts Setting a New Course. I used her template for the pieced compasses and I drafted my own for the quilted ones.

The whole quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205752[/ATTACH]

close up of center compass
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205753[/ATTACH]

Detail of quilting in center compass
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205754[/ATTACH]

hand quilted compasses there are 8 of them
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205756[/ATTACH]

a close up of the compass quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205757[/ATTACH]

Dragon
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205759[/ATTACH]

tiger
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205760[/ATTACH]

dragon and tiger around compass in every corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205761[/ATTACH]

another corner shot with dragon and tiger
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205762[/ATTACH]

clouds
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205763[/ATTACH]

The pic I posted before of dragon closeup
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205764[/ATTACH]

and finally tiger which I have posted before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205766[/ATTACH]

charismah 06-02-2011 02:34 PM

That is simply Amazing!

I wanted to be the first..so I had to post and then hit edit to add the rest..LOL!

I love the stars you quilted and the designs within the mariners compass... My Goodness that is a ton of work. I hope you win some ribbons before you gift it to your brother.

The dragons are amazing! Sistah!!! you need to go into business.

Jennifer22206 06-02-2011 02:35 PM

oh wow. I can't say any more than that. Wow.

leatheflea 06-02-2011 02:43 PM

WOW!

fatquarters 06-02-2011 02:45 PM

You must Really love your brother. Great quilt!

feline fanatic 06-02-2011 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
That is simply Amazing!

I wanted to be the first..so I had to post and then hit edit to add the rest..LOL!

I love the stars you quilted and the designs within the mariners compass... My Goodness that is a ton of work. I hope you win some ribbons before you gift it to your brother.

The dragons are amazing! Sistah!!! you need to go into business.

:lol: :lol: Thanks Charismah! Someday I hope to get good enough at LAing to be able longarm detail like this but I'm not sure it's even possible. They are two totally different types of quilting. The compasses are possible with ruler work just not sure the dragon and tiger could be done.

jillnjo 06-02-2011 02:52 PM

What fantastic work you have done on every choice from pattern to color to quilting skills!!

MissSandra 06-02-2011 02:56 PM

spetacular!!!!

MelodyWB 06-02-2011 03:07 PM

Very few quilts make me speechless..what a beautiful job..color..design..lol..in otherwords totally perfect !!!

suebee 06-02-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
oh wow. I can't say any more than that. Wow.

Me either....this is phenominal (sp)