Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Hand Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/hand-quilting-t54620.html)

KellyK 07-16-2010 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher

Originally Posted by Candace
Although I can appreciate hand quilting, I don't care for the "look" of it and really prefer the artistry of good machine quilting. I decorated modern and don't care for antiques, country decor etc. I think it's important that if you hand quilters want to keep your art going, that you don't put down machine quilters and make comments like "it makes me sick" etc. It's definitely a put-off IMHO when people make disparaging comments about other people's art forms and preferences. Like I mentioned, I don't care for hand quilting, but I'd never make snarky comments about it.

My sentiments exactly. There is a lot of quilt snobbery out there, and I don't mean just about hand vs. machine sewing. It is obvious in some of the letters to the editors of quilt magazines. I love quilts--all quilts--and I really don't care whether they're done by machine or by hand. What matters is the care and artistry, not the method. I work with a long arm quilter whose work is superb, original, and beautiful. I would stack her quilts up against any hand quilter, any day. Machine quilting can be done artistically. Hand quilting is not necessarily art. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I think you make a good point, it is all in the eye of the beholder.

As a new person to this forum I was sad to see some people take a voicing of opinion as an attack on certain styles of quilting. I think saying "I" dilike X is not the same as saying X is bad. It is just the voicing of an artistic preference, and the beauty of this forum, to me, is that as a daily stalker I look at most of the pic's posted and for even the most wildly different quilts there has always been someone who loves the quilt pictured.

That is awesome, and I really enjoy the experience of reading comments on quilts I love. Just as much I enjoy reading the comments on quilts that just aren't my style, I am learning to appreciate things in quilts that I wouldn't have if someone hadn't commented on how clever it was for the quilter to do this or that. I take a second look and begin to understand the attraction.

I personally feel that hand quilting will become even more rare, as culturally it is outside of the norm (dittoing all said by pp's about time, quick satisfaction, and quilting for utility vs. heirloom) and requires more time. But I think that rarity will just make each hand quilted piece more appreciated and beloved.

seabolt22 07-16-2010 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by rhueluna
What is happening to handwork? All we see now at quilt shows is machine work. I am keeping up the best I can to show handwork as the way to go. But I know the big machine makers are pushing for machine work to sell their goods. I love the intricate designs they make on the heavily machine quilted quilts and think its a real work of art. But to take a hand pieced old fabric quilt top and hit it with a bunch of loops on a machine breaks my heart. Each way has its own field. I wished someone would put handwork areas of the quilt shows to show off the hard work we hand quilters do. Here are a few of my hand quilted items I hope you like. I wonder what others have to say about it. I know when I talk to other hand quilters, they feel the same way and we are not noticed for the hard work. Keep up the good work all you hand quilters. And keep up the great art of the small machine designs that are so beautiful. But the whip em out big loops don't do a thing for me. I wonder what you all think.

I think hand work is beautiful, but due to a hereditary tremor I am unable to hand quilt also I have a severe allergy to nickel which restricts the use of pins and needles which cause skin rashes. I am able to machine piece and quilt small quilts and send larger ones to a LAQ am learning the 'Quilt as you Go' method on machine. We each do as we can and I get so much joy from what I do.

IBQUILTIN 07-16-2010 05:14 PM

I just got a whole bunch of "study" blocks, from a yard sale of all places. The progression from technique to technique is just amazing. I think I want to try some of these things myself. All are hand done. Some ruching, some trapunto, some applique, some stitch in the ditch. There was even a whole quilt that needs to be put together that the girls in my guild and I decided is from probably 1910 or 1915; somewhere in that decade at least. It sure is fun goin through all these wonderful things I got for $20.00 - - Plus there must be 50 yards of materials

Rusty's Mama 07-16-2010 05:17 PM

I love hand quilting and grew up surrounded by hand quilters. However, my hands don't like handwork as much as I do. So, to be able to quilt and complete quilts and enjoy the craft, I machine quilt. Quilts that are done by hand are beautiful and I very much admire them - just can't do them.

quiltingfan 07-16-2010 05:27 PM

Totally agree about the hand quilting in shows. It should have it's own place in the shows. You do amazing work and wish I had the patience to hand quilt the way you do.

jprusky 07-16-2010 05:29 PM

Oh my, what a lot of work but so well worth it. Good for you. You have my admiration.

Dee 07-16-2010 05:34 PM

You are a very talented artist. Your work is fabulous :thumbup:

Patched 07-16-2010 05:47 PM

""You do and excellent of had quilting, appliqueing and piecing. Lots and lots of time but well worth it.

quiltincharlotte 07-16-2010 06:10 PM

HI there - I am thrilled to see someone else likes to hand quilt, too! I don't have a machine that quilts, maybe that is why, and it gets expensive . . but I love to quilt and watch TV - very relaxing. Am trying to make smaller stitches. Mine have gotten pretty better, but would like to get more stitches per inch. What size needle do you use? char

quiltincharlotte 07-16-2010 06:11 PM

OOPS! I typed "pretty better" by mistake . . . .