Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Hand Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/hand-quilting-t54620.html)

mayday 07-15-2010 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rhueluna
What is happening to handwork? All we see now at quilt shows is machine work. I am keeping up the best I can to show handwork as the way to go. But I know the big machine makers are pushing for machine work to sell their goods. I love the intricate designs they make on the heavily machine quilted quilts and think its a real work of art. But to take a hand pieced old fabric quilt top and hit it with a bunch of loops on a machine breaks my heart. Each way has its own field. I wished someone would put handwork areas of the quilt shows to show off the hard work we hand quilters do. Here are a few of my hand quilted items I hope you like. I wonder what others have to say about it. I know when I talk to other hand quilters, they feel the same way and we are not noticed for the hard work. Keep up the good work all you hand quilters. And keep up the great art of the small machine designs that are so beautiful. But the whip em out big loops don't do a thing for me. I wonder what you all think.

Ido SO agree, some of the heavily machined quilts make me feel sick.
your quilts are EXQUISITE , the first is my favourite------PLSE KEEP IT UP!!

Borntohandquilt 07-15-2010 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rhueluna,
your work is absolutely stunning and you really do wonderful hand work. You speak right from my heart and I feel exactly the same like you. I am an avid hand quilter and I hope I will have a long live time to go on with this wonderful craft. I agree that quilt shows should judge hand quilted works in an special category - not because it's less or more valued but because we have too different crafts here! I will keep hand quilting as long as I can and I'm happy to hear that others feel the same like me.

LaurieE 07-15-2010 09:37 AM

Your quilts are lovely. I'm a hand quilter but I didn't put in nearly as much as quilting you did on my quilts.

I have carpal tunnel with 2 trigger fingers so I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hand quilt. So I'm having to learn how to machine quilt. Right now I'm concentrating on straight lines.

I agree with you that the all-over stippling and loops have been way over-used.

Farmer Girl 07-15-2010 09:52 AM

Just love to hand quilt. Seldom do I not have one in progress. Takes up too much of the dining room, but when I have the big frame up, get lots of company just dropping by to add a few stitches. Do have a wonderful couple that long arm quilts the everyday quilts that I make. Just cannot see putting a lot of time into anything that I applique and then have it machine quilted. I think that there would be more hand quilting done if quilters found out just how relaxing it is. I cannot bring myself to sit in front of the tube at any time without some kind of handiwork going, be it a hooped quilt, crochet, counted cross stitch or any other "hands on" work.

Fiber Artist 07-15-2010 10:19 AM

You have a great talent!!!All of your quilts are beautiful!!!

tortoisethreads 07-15-2010 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, your work is amazing! I love hand quilting. I love how calming it is and how beautiful the quilts turn out. I also machine quilt on my old Singer. I agree that I wish more people hand quilted. I think it's a lost art! I also love replicating antique quilts, so those always get hand quilted! Here is the one on my frame now! (My stitches are no where close to yours, but I'm trying)

gramma8 07-15-2010 10:32 AM

just beautiful!! Thanks for sharing. My first quilts I made were for my 3 boys - memory quilts - the pictures in each block were fabric painted and then hand quilted around each picture. It was a labor of love - now I only know where one is (he had me keep it for him - didn't want to mess it up :?: ) Then hand stitched in the ditch. Then 2 whole cloth quilts (white) for my nieces. They were beautiful if I may say so. I do miss that type of quilting. Right now I'm struggling with peronal type machine (Brother) quilting. I may go back to my hand work. Thanks for reminding me.

gramma8 07-15-2010 10:33 AM

the stitching is perfect!

sewcrafty 07-15-2010 10:54 AM

I myself love to handquilt! There's no machine stitching that can compare to it. I admit I do do both, but if I have the time to do a handquilting project then that's the way I go. If its utilitarian (sp) (nothing grand) I normally machine it.

virtualbernie 07-15-2010 11:10 AM

I'm a hand quilter through and through! For me I think it's a control issue. I can't control my machine like I can control my needle. I believe there's a place for both hand and machine quilting but for me the issue is design. If you don't have a nice design that goes with the particular quilt, it doesn't look good whether you hand or machine quilt.