Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Hanky Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/hanky-quilts-t18818.html)

mpspeedy 04-11-2009 07:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Someone asked about hanky pankies. Here are some pictures of the two I made.

We had a speaker at both of my guilds who published a book on handkercheif quilts. She used a single hanky in the middle with a theme and surrounded it with lots of interesting borders. I have a collection of hundreds of hankies. I probably won't use most of them.

This one I made for Valentines Day and supposedly gave it to my husband. I couldn't resist as the hanky had my name on it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]31872[/ATTACH]

This is the first one I made. It was fun to embellish.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]31876[/ATTACH]

tlrnhi 04-11-2009 07:08 AM

How pretty!!!

mrsj82 04-11-2009 07:09 AM

Those are cute!

Justquilting 04-11-2009 07:16 AM

Those are so pretty!!

mpspeedy 04-11-2009 07:50 AM

I have handquilted a top for a customer that were made with hankies. Each block had a butterfly whose wings were a folded hanky. The body parts were embroidered. I have a pattern for a bed size quilt that has ladies whose dresses are made from folded hankies. You can even make them a bride with a veil or a spanish lady. The little quilts are made by cutting the hankies either in half or quarters. The ones I made are based on the Hanky Panky book. I also have a pattern that you make blocks with a shirt pocket on them that you then stuff with a folded hanky. As a young woman my mother worked in the local dime store behind the lunch counter. I have a picture of her in her uniform with a pocket including folded hanky. Someday I will get around to transfering the picture on to fabric and making a hanky quilt around the picture and the theme.

Debbie1 04-11-2009 11:24 AM

There's are gorgeous! I love them both!

Knot Sew 04-11-2009 11:56 AM

Beautiful work :D

sewhappy57 04-11-2009 12:51 PM

How beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration! :D :D :D

zennia 04-11-2009 12:54 PM

Very pretty. I have been collecting them for years. I should get busy and make something. Thanks for showing yours.

amma 04-11-2009 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I have handquilted a top for a customer that were made with hankies. Each block had a butterfly whose wings were a folded hanky. The body parts were embroidered. I have a pattern for a bed size quilt that has ladies whose dresses are made from folded hankies. You can even make them a bride with a veil or a spanish lady. The little quilts are made by cutting the hankies either in half or quarters. The ones I made are based on the Hanky Panky book. I also have a pattern that you make blocks with a shirt pocket on them that you then stuff with a folded hanky. As a young woman my mother worked in the local dime store behind the lunch counter. I have a picture of her in her uniform with a pocket including folded hanky. Someday I will get around to transfering the picture on to fabric and making a hanky quilt around the picture and the theme.

You Hanky Quilts are Beautiful :D :D :D I would love to see the one you make with your mom's picture in it :D :D :D