Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Hawaiian quilt "in the works" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/hawaiian-quilt-%22-works%22-t440.html)

fish 07-31-2007 07:50 PM

Your quilt is a masterpiece. I visited Hawaii a couple of years ago and picked up books, etc., but have not started on it. Now I'm inspired!
I have a question--did you hand applique the design or machine applique? I hope it was machine.

Leslee 08-01-2007 06:10 AM

Nope, m'dear Fish--the entire quilt was needle-turn applique! I didn't have a machine at the time, but now that I do I doubt I'd machine stitch anything that size anyway. Did you find some good instructional books in Hawaii? I hope you'll give this style of quilting a try and show us some pictures when you do. :D

Lady T 08-02-2007 08:34 AM

I am a new member here & just wanted you to know what a beautiful work of art this is. I am so in awe of your work on this quilt.

I purchased a Hawaiian pattern(Breadfruit) to attempt one. I am a hand quilter & needleturn appliquer.

I have no idea where to buy fabric nor even what kind to use. It will be a true learning curve.

I think this quilt is beautiful beyond belief. Excellant job! Thank you for the sharing! Lady T

Steve 08-02-2007 09:25 AM

I work with Leslee, and the frightening thing is the pictures don’t do her work justice. I can’t think of the last time when I didn’t see her working on something during breaks or lunchtime. She currently has taken on the chore of teaching me the art of quilt making (big job since I ‘m a beginner). The quilt I’m doing is very crude by comparison, but with her help I’ve avoided many pitfalls and it’s turning out a success. I often wonder if I’ll ever be able to do such work as the Hawaiian quilting; with her help I’m sure what ever I do learn will be a great experience at the very least. I feel truly fortunate to have her as a friend and mentor.

k_jupiter 08-02-2007 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Steve
I work with Leslee, and the frightening thing is the pictures don’t do her work justice. I can’t think of the last time when I didn’t see her working on something during breaks or lunchtime. She currently has taken on the chore of teaching me the art of quilt making (big job since I ‘m a beginner). The quilt I’m doing is very crude by comparison, but with her help I’ve avoided many pitfalls and it’s turning out a success. I often wonder if I’ll ever be able to do such work as the Hawaiian quilting; with her help I’m sure what ever I do learn will be a great experience at the very least. I feel truly fortunate to have her as a friend and mentor.

Dude!

Welcome.

It's great group of women, they even tell me womenfolk secrets. *L* Or lie about it, I'll never know.

I don't do any hand quilting, but I do sit and admire anyone who can quilt Hawaiian. Makes me think of mellow rum drinks, sunsets of Maui, and Ukalalies.

I am a beginner, just started sewing last September, but it gets in your blood. An art form waitng for our unique perspective.

tim in san jose

jacquemoe 08-02-2007 12:43 PM

That is beautiful. Where ever do you get the patience? This is all hand quilted, right? I have severe arthritis so hand quilting is out for me. You go girl!
Jackie

Yvonne 08-02-2007 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Steve
She currently has taken on the chore of teaching me the art of quilt making (big job since I ‘m a beginner). The quilt I’m doing is very crude by comparison, but with her help I’ve avoided many pitfalls and it’s turning out a success. I often wonder if I’ll ever be able to do such work as the Hawaiian quilting; with her help I’m sure what ever I do learn will be a great experience at the very least. I feel truly fortunate to have her as a friend and mentor.

Steve,
Welcome to the group! I know Tim will be glad to have another man here to help him try to keep up with the rest of us. :lol: Leslee mentioned you were beginning to quilt. We're anxious to see projects here... like the one by your name! Is that your first quilt. It looks great to me. Post a bigger picture please.
You've got a great mentor. Leslee has shown us some pretty fantastic stuff! Enjoy the world of quilts!
Yvonne

Leslee 08-02-2007 08:06 PM

Awww, shucks...all of you and your compliments! You're a great bunch of friends, you truly are.

tia sarah 08-02-2007 08:17 PM

steve, your truly blessed to have leslee as your teacher. great work leslee.

vicki reno 08-03-2007 03:32 AM

Steve what a nice thing to say about someone! You work with a pretty fantastic lady :!: