Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Help!!! I don't know how to finish this vintage Lone Star... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/help-i-dont-know-how-finish-vintage-lone-star-t51037.html)

magpiefeather 06-24-2010 06:57 PM

I could fix it...but explaining how is kind of hard. I have made tons of lone stars (see my link). I wouldn't applique it but then I know how to set those pieces in. Do you want to send it and I'll fix it? I'm serious, just let me know....

maporch 06-26-2010 11:54 AM

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I love to hand piece, so I'm looking forward to this challenge. If I run into any difficulties I'll definitely be asking for more feedback.

(magpiefeather- I'm in love with your Lone Stars! I want to try to finish this myself first, but if I run into any obstacles, I may contact you for advice! Thanks so much for your kind offer :)

libbyb 06-26-2010 01:34 PM

This is a radiating Lone star quilt. I made one years ago and a friend of mine just recently finished one. I'm thinking if you measure for the square and then cut the square in half to form a triangle it might fit but try it with paper first. I do have a pattern let me see what it says.It says to measure 2-3 diamonds along the straight edge and then average them. Cut 4 squares to this measurement plus 2" about 23" Measure between the outside points, add 3 inches and cut one square to this measurement. App.32"square. Cut this square twice on the diagional to make four triangles. Hope this helps. Libby

happy girl 02-27-2011 05:11 PM

I have a magazine for this pattern if you want le me know and I'm sending this Lone star page to you.

Julianna 02-27-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
Why not emphasize the original star by appliqueing it to a background fabric with batting under it...bias strips, a small flange or even covered cording around the edge of the star perhaps, then full batting under the ground fabric and use quilting to highlight it further...won't have to mess with triangles that way and places more emphasis on the original star.

Did this with a partial stack-and-whack a friend gave me. Turned out great and was easy with help from fusables first then decorative stitches around the edges. She loved it. Good luck and maybe pick up one of the colors in the pieces to blend, then another color for border.

Rainbow 04-23-2011 12:48 PM

LOVE IT. Someone gave me the star...only....I am in the same fix because the first try was a bust. Someone suggested to me to make much larger squares/triangles so the whole piece is extended wider than 1/4 inch from the edge of the original star... I'm still 'thinking' on this one. Be sure to keep us posted.

MamaHen 04-23-2011 02:12 PM

My mother bought a lone star top off of Ebay last year, it was all out of shape and center would not lay flat. I took it apart for her, replaced the center diamonds, and made it somewhat presentable. Can't remember exactly how I made the corner squares and triangles, but each corner was different size, in the long run it turned out ok. Mom loves it!

Julianna 04-23-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
Why not emphasize the original star by appliqueing it to a background fabric with batting under it...bias strips, a small flange or even covered cording around the edge of the star perhaps, then full batting under the ground fabric and use quilting to highlight it further...won't have to mess with triangles that way and places more emphasis on the original star.

I did this with a small bit of OBW a friend gave me. Turned out fine.