Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Help Identify this vintage quilt pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/help-identify-vintage-quilt-pattern-t111481.html)

K.P. 03-28-2011 11:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I recently discovered 2 quilt tops in a box of stuff from a relative; eveyone knows I quilt, so I usually get anything no one else wants that has fabric in it...most of the time, that's a good thing! I found 2 scrappy quilt tops, both hand pieced. Both tops were very yellowed, but not necessarily stained, so I tried washing them in the sink just gently squeezing them using some gentle detergent. The water was brown! I think maybe it might be nicotine, but can't be sure, there was very little odor. Anyway, most of what ever was yellowing came out. One is just a scrap block quilt, but the other has a pattern I need help identifying, can anyone help me?

Vintage Scrap Quilt hanging to dry
[ATTACH=CONFIG]176504[/ATTACH]

Close of one of the blocks to identify
[ATTACH=CONFIG]176505[/ATTACH]

Vintage Scrap Block Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]176513[/ATTACH]

sueisallaboutquilts 03-28-2011 11:08 AM

Wow, the top one is interesting. It almost looks to me like a combination of bow tie, grandmother's fan, and drunkard's path and I don't know what else???
Fun fun!!!!!!!!!!! I love vintage :)

Darlene 03-28-2011 11:11 AM

The quilt you washed that was discolored it may have been carbon. That happened in an older house we lived in we believe the old furnace was the cause. A dry cleaner told me about this when I had a coat cleaned.

Lv2sew2011 03-28-2011 11:16 AM

I don't have any ideal, but the blocks look like thread spool!

quilt'nmomma 03-28-2011 11:19 AM

I wish dh's grandmother was still alive to ask this question. His grandfather has one just like the above pattern hanging in the dining room on a quilt hanger. I was looking at it yesterday trying to figure it out. Only difference was that the bowtie looking centers were solid and not pieced.

NorBanaquilts 03-28-2011 11:48 AM

I have the pattern for the top one in a scrap quilt book at home. I'll look it up tonight and let you know what name they have.

QuiltnNan 03-28-2011 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I looked in EQ Blockbase and found this similar block

double fan crazy quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]176528[/ATTACH]

Shelbie 03-28-2011 11:59 AM

Your quilts look great. I wondered though why you could hang out clothes and have grass and leaves on the trees. My clothesline is still deep in snow and a quilt hung out today would be dragging in the snowbank. Then I looked and saw you were in Texas and it sure doesn't look wintery there.

K.P. 03-28-2011 01:45 PM

Thanks for everyone's help so far on the name of this block. Yes, it's cool and overcast here in Texas, I live in a suburb of Dallas, it's in the 50's, was in the 80's last week, but we had a cold front yesterday...

NorBanaquilts 03-28-2011 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The book I have says that this block is a version of Robbing Peter to Pay Paul