Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Help identifying a pattern please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/help-identifying-pattern-please-t319078.html)

Jude74 09-05-2022 05:50 AM

Help identifying a pattern please!

3 Attachment(s)
Found this quilt at an estate sale but no one there knew the date it was made or the pattern. I found the added top piece interesting and also wonder why it was added. The top of the quilt inside appears totally intact so it wasn't to cover damage.
Thanks in advance!

P-BurgKay 09-05-2022 05:55 AM

The added piece at the top was a beard protector piece to keep a mans beard from ruining the quilt. This was put on a lot of quilts back in the dayl

Jude74 09-05-2022 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by P-BurgKay (Post 8565679)
The added piece at the top was a beard protector piece to keep a mans beard from ruining the quilt. This was put on a lot of quilts back in the dayl

Thanks for the quick reply! Any idea what era the beard protector was used? I do see it is attached with a slip stitch for easy removal

cashs_mom 09-05-2022 06:40 AM

My mother said they attached pieces like that to quilts to protect the edges from getting dirty from their hands. It could be taken off and washed so that the whole quilt didn't have to be cleaned. They used to do things like that as everything was washed by hand.

toogie 09-05-2022 06:51 AM

I don’t know if you got a good deal on it, but it sure is a beautiful quilt, well preserved. I have seen the block before, maybe in a Native American quilt but I can’t think of the name right now. Someone here will I’m sure.

Jude74 09-05-2022 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I've found the pattern...Buckeye Beauty! My next question is the stitching pattern..almost looks machine made which would make this quilt not very old.

toogie 09-05-2022 07:39 AM

That is the pattern. It really looks different in two colors. I knew a lady that has long been dead and she marked out her blocks and hand quilted like this. You should be able to tell if it hand quilted verses machine.

Jude74 09-05-2022 09:11 AM

Thank you...will dig out the magnifying glass to check out the stitching! If hand stitched I envy her control! lol

osewme 09-05-2022 04:38 PM

That's a beautiful quilt. I have quilts from my DH's mother & grandmother. Some of them were pieced on a sewing machine & hand quilted & they are at least 75 years old. So, even though a sewing machine was used it does not mean that it is not an old quilt. I think a lot of quilts were pieced on the sewing machine & then hand quilted. Yours looks hand quilted to me.

Jude74 09-05-2022 07:30 PM

I dug out the magnifying glass and pulled the fabric apart to check and saw only 1 thread..so it is hand quilted!
Thanks to everyone for their replies! And I learned a new term today..beard or whisker guard! lol
Judy