Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   HELP What did I do? And Can It be fixed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/help-what-did-i-do-can-fixed-t143041.html)

janetter 08-06-2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by buckeyed
Hopefully these are your only blocks that are done. If so you can take them apart and re-measure. I had to do that with the first blocks I started. It was my introduction to "frogging"..you know, rip it, rip it, rip it....the stitches not the fabric.

LOL

janetter 08-06-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
Are you bigger squares the same size? They look to be, from the pictures. If so, try a different layout. The layout I used for a D9P did not require any seam matching to resew the blocks.

It may work out this way. My vision was a "stepped" pattern
SAD FACE

ploverwi2 08-06-2011 09:35 AM

Be good to yourself. They look like the same size. I would use them in the middle, as a focal point and just move forward. If they are the only two that you cut, then just make a candle mate from them or something little and start again. Use your imagination. You will be thrilled with the results.

scowlkat 08-06-2011 09:36 AM

Could they have stretched some? Try some spray starch before you sew and don't forget to press, not iron! (One of my biggest problems!)

yonnikka 08-06-2011 09:45 AM

Start with your thinking: in the Blocks shown above, BEGIN by matching perfectly the STITCH LINE of the Seams. Don't look at the outer edge, not at this time. When you match and sew the perfect seams, then iron your blocks (open). Do this for both pieces. Then, trim the bigger one down if the seam width bothers you. I would judge if the quarter-inch seam allowance is the problem? or did you cut your 9-patch off-center. Next time, FOLD your 9-Patch block in half, fingerpress the center line as your cutting guide, instead of trying to "measure" it, and then do it for the other center line. Folding in half gives you the perfect center; whereas measuring and dividing by 2 might gum you up. Just my experience here speaking ;0).

Polliwog 08-06-2011 11:09 AM

After reading about DP9 on this board, I tried it and had the same problem. Gave up and now can make accurately the same design by cutting squares and rectangles to correspond to the finished size of the block. It's a simple pattern that lends itself particularly to stitching up charity quilts very quickly. Don't give up on the design possibilities.

quilter68 08-06-2011 12:13 PM

If it isn't the seam size you can do what Eleanor Burns does - trim it.
Also is the fabric the same thickness? Some of it looks like homespun - which will shrink when washed.

amma 08-06-2011 01:15 PM

Ooops... if they are all this way? Keep going and you will get a nice secondary design :D:D:D

debcavan 08-06-2011 02:07 PM

I cut using the first seam line as my guide. I don't cut to the middle of the nine patch exactly. If my finished center block is suppose to be 5 inches, I cut from one side 2 1/4 inches and from the other side 2 1/4 inches. I have a little strip left in the center of about 1/2 inch. But all of mine are then the same size. It has to do with the turn of the fabric in the seam allowance.

sewlo 08-06-2011 03:23 PM

The same thing happened to me on my large print Happy Camper fabric. Once all the blocks were made and the top of the quilt was quilted, it was barely noticable, I would continue to cut and sew as you are doing.