Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Hexagon Star Stack n Whack FINISHED--Sunglasses may be needed! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/hexagon-star-stack-n-whack-finished-sunglasses-may-needed-t200524.html)

Quilter 65 09-17-2012 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by bjhumes (Post 5520982)
I love it! NOW Help me....I bought some material this weekend to do a stack N whack, have book on it but I am scared to cut it. My repeat is probably between 12 to 14 inches as I have NOT measured it yet. The fabric has like water color flowers of orange, gold, tan with black sketch lines...so I felt it would do a pretty shack N whack. Plus
book suggested 3 1/2 yards so I only bought 3 yards. It may only get to be a throw. NEED your advice on cutting it.

Now, remember this is my first attempt at S&W so not sure I am qualified to give anyone advice, but I will tell you that mine took all the fabric I had plus a bit. When I purchased the original amount, I THOUGHT I had enough, but had to order a bit more online. I just took the book and did what it said. I will say I think it is crucial that you get those stacked exactly to match, because if you don't, they won't look right. Ask me how I know that! So before you cut, measure precisely to see that you have six repeats and the FULL repeat. If you shorted the yardage, you might only have a part of the sixth repeat. Then cut the strip. I did use the WOF rather than cut it in the middle, because I am conservative with fabric (some might say cheap) and I didn't want a partial wedge left when I might need every inch and I did need it all. Have you picked the pattern that you want to use? I have seen this one with the sides straightened out and you wouldn't need all those hexes on the side so that could save fabric as well. Good luck. I just jumped in and did this and figured that if it failed, no one would take away my birthday! These are great fun.

rural01 09-17-2012 09:33 AM

That is truly lovely! In fact, I love everything about it. The flowers, black star points, and that delicious lime green that looks like springtime. It is truly beautiful, not to mention that gorgeous quilting.

MimiBug123 09-17-2012 10:10 AM

Super pretty! Love your color choices. I like brights, as well!

WisWis 09-17-2012 12:00 PM

Love it -the black makes it sing.

busy fingers 09-17-2012 12:30 PM

What a stunner - well done.

MamaBear61 09-17-2012 01:07 PM

Beautifully done, great work by both of you.

QandE2010 09-17-2012 02:01 PM

This is an absolutely gorgeous quilt. Thanks for sharing.

kathyd 09-17-2012 02:10 PM

Beautiful. Always amazing the designs that come out of stack-n-whacks.

margie77072 09-17-2012 02:52 PM

i got my sunglasses on. It's a beautiful quilt.

DeAnne-Mn. 09-17-2012 03:30 PM

Absolutely love the quilt and esp. the lime green. I want to make one but don't know which Bethany Reynolds pattern book to get this quilt pattern from. Looked on Amazon and found several of her books, but which one has this beautiful pattern in it? Help please, where to get this pattern? Thanks in advance.