Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How did you catch the quilting bug? Who taught you to quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-did-you-catch-quilting-bug-who-taught-you-quilt-t313705.html)

Annaquilts 01-02-2021 09:31 AM

Hubby thought I spend too much money on making soap so he signed me up with a class at Quilt In a Day, Elanore Burns. Little did he know he opened pandoras box.

Three Dog Night 01-02-2021 09:37 AM

I have sewed since I was 10 yrs old mostly making clothes for myself. In 2006 when my mom passed away we were going through her house and found a box of quilt squares some hand sewn some machine sewn. No one in family knew where or who the maker of the blocks was. My mom sewed but she was never a quilter. I had 2 friends at work who were quilters and with their encouragement I decided to take on project of finishing the quilt. I still haven't finished but it is on the list of to dos this year. The quilting but bit me and I haven't stopped yet.

Julienm1 01-02-2021 10:00 AM

Anna, LOL! I told my husband your story. When we got married I was doing cross stitch. One drawer of stuff. He though, hmm not bad for a hobby. Little did he know what would happen down the road. He thinks you guys should start a support group...lol

Annaquilts 01-02-2021 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 (Post 8448855)
Anna, LOL! I told my husband your story. When we got married I was doing cross stitch. One drawer of stuff. He though, hmm not bad for a hobby. Little did he know what would happen down the road. He thinks you guys should start a support group...lol

Too funny! Well my hubby is a big enabler now so it tells me he is spending plenty on his hobbies.

craftiladi 01-02-2021 10:14 AM

I pretty much learned the same way. I was a young mom & used to make my kids clothes and someone gave me a box of fabric & I stumbled on PBS & Eleanor Burns, and yes the rest is history lol-pretty much self-taught

intoquilting 01-02-2021 10:58 AM

My mom worked in a garment factory and she brought home scraps and made quilts. I took Home Ec in school and started to quilt after I signed up for a Sat morning class at the quilt store. I now have a longarm and piece tops and quilt my own.

BonnieJP 01-02-2021 11:09 AM

I sewed for many years. I sewed clothes, coats, drapes, and even a boat cover. Then at some point, I just didn't bother sewing for several years. When my nephew and his wife were expecting their first baby, I decided to make a baby quilt. I used a simple "quilt in a weekend" pattern and really enjoyed making it. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed sewing, especially making a quilt. That was it, I've been hooked ever since.

quiltingcandy 01-02-2021 11:40 AM

My dad had a comforter that his mother bought before she died and never used. It was in what my dad called a blanket box. (A cedar chest without the cedar). I fell in love with the box and he and I refinished it. Not sure why but I painted it with enamel black and still love it. It was my "Hope Chest". He gave me the quilt inside of it and I slept under that quilt until it fell apart. But I was going to make quilts to fill up my blanket box. I wanted to hand sew my quilts. I sewed clothes and I embroidered but didn't do any quilting until after I left home. It was about 6 years when I decided to make my first quilt, just patchwork squares. And I was watching the PBS shows with Georgia Bonesteel, Quilt In a Day, and Nancy's Sewing. Luckily "Simply Quilts" came on and I had a VCR. A lady at work also wanted to learn to quilt so we sewed together at work for a few years. We didn't know about guilds , so we used our breaks and lunch times to sew or craft. We called is our group therapy. Others started to join us as time went along. Sometimes we would quilt, other times crochet, or embroider.

Quilting Chris 01-02-2021 11:46 AM

I started after retiring 6 years ago. The quilting shows on PBS gave me the desire to try it. I learned a lot from them but also from quilting forums like this one and u-tube. I then took a once-a-month quilt block of the month class at a quilt shop and learned even more from them. Still learning from you all. Also, what hooked me was buying EQ7 quilt design and realizing quilting was a perfect fit for my engineering and math background.

Anniedeb 01-02-2021 12:11 PM

My mother sewed most of our clothes when the first 4 kids (me included) were little. By the time 5-9 came along she had no time. In 10th grad I learned real fast that clothes mattered, and I didn't have many. I never took home ec, but sewing clothes came easy with a little advice from my mom. I also love crafting, and looking at things and figuring out how to make it for pennies on the dollar. Quilting came about when I married and all our friends were having babies. Baby quilts were easy to do. I made most of my kids clothes when they were little. Once I retired, quilting really came to the forefront and I spend hours looking, watching videos and admiring, and getting inspired by posts here. I've only taken one class, and found I prefer to go it alone.

I do not remember my grandmothers sewing, or quilting, but I do know that my grandmother had a singer treadle Sewing machine. When her house sold in 1974, it "mysteriously" disappeared. Several years later, my aunt had a beautiful planter...made out of a Singer treadle machine!