Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How I build up my stash!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-i-build-up-my-stash-t64048.html)

Izy 09-10-2010 10:34 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Hi, there are NO quilting shops here in Manchester U.K., so a girl has to do what a girl has to do...trawl the local charity shops!!

Here is my latest batch of goodies!! ;)

Still a pile to cut up!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114911[/ATTACH]

Bargain XL men's shirt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114912[/ATTACH]

Beautiful burgundy paisey
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114913[/ATTACH]

Baby girls dresses
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114915[/ATTACH]

Isn't that small piece of blue beautiful!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114916[/ATTACH]

KathyAire 09-10-2010 10:38 AM

Wow. I'd say the charity shops are almost like a fabric shop. Good find.

Mariposa 09-10-2010 10:39 AM

You found some great ones! :)

gaigai 09-10-2010 10:40 AM

What a great idea Izy! Not only are those beautiful fabrics, but what a great price, compared to the price of regular fabric. Hmmm, I can see it now...a regular run on the thrift stores! LOL

Izy 09-10-2010 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
What a great idea Izy! Not only are those beautiful fabrics, but what a great price, compared to the price of regular fabric. Hmmm, I can see it now...a regular run on the thrift stores! LOL

Do you know Gaigai, that's EXACTLY how I feel, I get a buzz out of finding items that are 100% cotton for a fraction of the cost of actual quilting fabrics and it is unique, the little girls dresses probably only yield a fat quarter of fabric but between 49p and 99p each, how can you not love 'em!! I do try and find the LARGEST garments I can first tho tee hee!!

AND I am doing my bit for the environment, mind you, when I tell the shop assistants not to worry about folding them up neatly as I will be cutting them up soon, they nearly have a fit, saying what a waste....as patchwork just isn't popular here, they don't 'get' it!!

:lol:

erstan947 09-10-2010 10:50 AM

Great tip and wonderful way to think outside the BOX!

Izy 09-10-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Great tip and wonderful way to think outside the BOX!

But that's just it...I need to think outside the box to fill the box LOL!!!

:thumbup:

Jim's Gem 09-10-2010 10:57 AM

Looks like some nice fabrics!!! great find!

Izy 09-10-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Looks like some nice fabrics!!! great find!

It has taken me several weeks of searching to find all these goodies to re-start my stash, as I had to leave most of my fabric behind in Spain, where my quilting buddies bought it which helped me raise enough money to bring my little dog back to the U.K :thumbup:

It breaks my heart to think about it but at least it went to a very deserving group of quilters :-D

GrammaNan 09-10-2010 11:08 AM

Your fabrics are beautiful! You have a great eye for fabric and colors. I know that new fabric is very expensive in the UK and you did not let that stop you. I do the same thing here and have been able to find some things. Here in the US we have Garage Sales and Yard Sales. No, were not selling our garages or our yards, LOL! People sell things they no longer need and put up signs on street corners and advertise in local papers and on the internet and display them in their garage or yard. I have found an amazing amount of quilting related items for very little money. If you have those types of sales in the UK I recommend you try them. I admire you for your perseverance.