Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   This is how I spent my snow day; how did you spend yours? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-i-spent-my-snow-day%3B-how-did-you-spend-yours-t89376.html)

craftiladi 01-12-2011 05:43 PM

Gran wrote:
Oh, I understand what you mean. It gives some weight to the edge, helps it to hang better, in sewing terms. I have found my serger has paid for itself many times over for all the fleece blankets I have made. I have 2 dogs that sleep on my bed, a great dane & a rottweiler so they dirty blankets up pretty fast. So I buy 5 yards of fleece when it is on sale, put about 18" of width on each side to make a nice overhang. I serge the two seams, then serge around the edges and I have great blankets that wash and dry beautifully and are warm at night. I love fleece. You can do so much to decorate it. I have made many for my gkids too with embroidery on one corner in their favorite design. Have fun!!!

Gran I have really been fighting the urge to get a serger...but keep telling myself I have 4 machines already...do I really need a serger but just to be able to sew around my quilts or plain blankets or even placemats would be a blessing. What kind do you have and any features I should look for? I have seen them range alot in price.

milikaa1 01-13-2011 12:26 PM

Such nice baby blankets....

amma 01-13-2011 12:57 PM

I love these fleece blankets!! Very cute and cleverly done!
The missionary quilt is gorgeous!! :D:D:D

Grandma Cindy 01-14-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
I spent my snow day making fleece blankets with appliques and finishing up a quilt for a missionary at church.

For those of you who asked for details with the pictures, I trimmed the fleece evenly and did the corners by cutting around a stainless steel bowl. Then I just used scraps to make a variety of appliqued shapes ... heavy on the hearts because I had a new Kaye Wood View and Do shape to try out. The edges were turned under 3/8" (the width of my presser foot) with no measuring or pinning and sewn in most cases with a blanket stitch and thread as close to the right color as I had.

The green ones are for a baby and I bound one with Winnie the Pooh fabric and appliqued the other with different hearts ... fussy cut.

The dark pink one is a quillow. Opens up into a blanket or folds into a pillow.

The church quilt is all scraps and meant to be Tuscan colors. The missionaries are usually, but not always men and the church gives a quilt to each missionary that comes to the mission conference in early February.

I washed all of them so that there would be no harmful residue for children or babies and so that the church quilt would look more old-timey.

I really like the fleece blankets... did you use a special foot to do the applique on the fleece, they are so cute.

marmalade 02-02-2011 10:48 AM

They all are so nice!

Marguerite 02-24-2011 11:52 AM

Those are just darling. I love the colors in the first one.