Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How to make this block look better? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-make-block-look-better-t25021.html)

Tippy 09-04-2009 06:40 AM

I would very carefully snip the threads holding her to the muslin, then hand stitch her to a new piece.. I had a sampler that got stored in a box that a mouse got into and he left a "calling card" on it that left a couple of stains that look similar to that.. I also tried everything and never could get it out.
I hope the "home remedies" work better for you. Think I'll try the vinegar and baking soda myself.. and maybe some toothpaste with whiteners. it can't hurt mine..

ginnie6 09-04-2009 07:01 AM

Baking soda worked!!!!! I put the block in the sink and soaked it. Then I sprinkled the baking soda all over the stain and just let it sit for a bit. When i went back in I gently rubbed it in and added a bit more water and let it sit some more. Then i added the vinegar...the kids loved that part! Once I was done rinsing the stain was gone! I am SO glad I asked here first before trying anything else! I'm going to use some interfacing on this block since the edges are so frayed. The other one that was fragile like this one helf up pretty well to quilting but the edges had be be sewn over in several places.

joeyoz 09-04-2009 07:50 AM

There is this stuff called GooGone that works pretty good on getting out all kinds of stains. Even ones that have been there awhile. It is gentle on the fabric so no worries there either. Worth a try.

justwannaquilt 09-04-2009 08:14 AM

yay for non toxic household items that are also great cleaners!!! I'm glad you were able to get the stain out and preserve the work that your grandmother did!

vinigar and a news paper will clean any glass to a streak free shine in no time!

ginnie6 09-04-2009 08:31 AM

I just feel kind of dumb for not thinking of it. I use baking soda to clean the stove top, the bath tub, unclog drains, and several other things.

daisyboo9 09-04-2009 10:39 AM

I do a lot of cross stitch and always wash my finished projects in vinegar and baking soda! it sets the colour of the thread and gently removes the oils the were left from handling the fabric as well as any stain or dirt. I inherited a beautiful needlepoint that my grandmother did and it had a huge stain in one corner. So I pulled it all apart and soaked it in vinegar and baking soda for 24 hours. Not only did it remove the stain but it cleaned the whole piece.

Mo. Quilter 09-04-2009 11:08 AM

I have never heard of useing vinagar & baking soda to clean stains on fabric, this is good to know. Thank you ladies.

Sheila Elaine 09-04-2009 07:53 PM

Ginnie6, those other surfaces are porcelain or painted. You didn't think about them in the same context as fabric, so don't worry about not thinking baking soda to begin with. I'm allergic to industrial cleaners, so have had to go to "green alternatives." It saves lots of money also. Good luck & post us a pic of Sue when she's all quilted. Thanks.

vicki reno 09-05-2009 03:49 AM

I was given old blocks last summer with discolored fabric. I soaked them in vinegar and water, changing it often, b/c my blocks were DIRTY! Most of the discoloration came out. I had 25 blocks, and the object, in my case was just to clean them up not make them look brand new. Some of the stains didn't come out but these were done by my girlfriends mother. I will eventually give the quilt back to her, once completed, and didn't want to make new blocks. I just needed them a little cleaner.

chickadee_42us 09-05-2009 04:25 AM

Yeah - Congratulations on both finding the blocks and getting them cleaned. Win! Win! :D