Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   HQ Sixteen-New to Me! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/hq-sixteen-new-me-t165016.html)

azwendyg 11-02-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 4618428)
I have been looking at the Sweet 16 because of space limitations. I am impressed with your idea for the table setup. What size and thickness of foam board did you use? I may use your idea for my Elna 7300. The wheels are really turning here!

Because the area of my table is pretty large, I used 2 4'x8' sheets of "snap board" pink insulation foam. I chose 1 1/2" thickness because I needed the surface raised 3" to be flush with the top of the HQ sixteen bed. I used clear packing tape to tape the pieces together, then covered it fabric, then heavy weight clear plastic I got at the fabric department in Walmart. Clear packing tape holds the fabric and the plastic on as well.

quiltsRfun 11-02-2011 11:29 AM

Jealous!

I'm green with envy but so glad you're enjoying your new machine.

alikat110 11-02-2011 06:52 PM

Enjoy!!!!!!

qltrbeagle 11-03-2011 02:45 PM

Wendy, I've been wanting a Sweet 16, but have a chance to buy an original 16 like yours from someone across the country. Do you know what the difference is, other than having the touch screen in a different place? Is the speed controller the same as on the Sweet16? Your set-up looks perfect! TIA for any answers you can provide....
Dee

tsnana2000 11-03-2011 02:52 PM

Congratulations!! You will have sew much fun with it. I have a Sweet Sixteen and absolutely love it.

beckalou 11-03-2011 03:42 PM

Really liked the idea for your sewing table. Hubby and I went to both Lowes and Home Depot and neither of those stores carry the foam in 1 1/2" thick in our area. And the foam was a mint green color. I need a 3 1/2" rise for mine. We may just look for a table at garage sales we go to and revise it to nest my machine.

azwendyg 11-03-2011 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by qltrbeagle (Post 4626539)
Wendy, I've been wanting a Sweet 16, but have a chance to buy an original 16 like yours from someone across the country. Do you know what the difference is, other than having the touch screen in a different place? Is the speed controller the same as on the Sweet16? Your set-up looks perfect! TIA for any answers you can provide....
Dee

Dee,
I'm not familiar with the features on the Sweet Sixteen, but I can tell you what I have on the original HQ Sixteen I have. I can change the needle up/down setting and set the maximum speed to whatever % that I'd like also. Those seem to be the only settings available when it's set up as a sit-down model. Mine did come with handles and wheels but I don't have frame so haven't hooked those up at all. I know you get another screen with the handles but I don't know what options are available there.

azwendyg 11-03-2011 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by beckalou (Post 4626865)
Really liked the idea for your sewing table. Hubby and I went to both Lowes and Home Depot and neither of those stores carry the foam in 1 1/2" thick in our area. And the foam was a mint green color. I need a 3 1/2" rise for mine. We may just look for a table at garage sales we go to and revise it to nest my machine.

Beckalou,
Your idea of nesting the machine into the table should would just fine also. My table is set up to nest my Juki machine so it wasn't possible to fit the HQ machine down into the table. That's why I went with building up the table surface for it instead. When I want to use the Juki in this table, I can lift off the machine and the foam pieces and drop the Juki into its spot.

Stitchnripper 11-03-2011 04:38 PM

That is quite a nifty set up. Looks like fun.

tsnana2000 11-03-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by qltrbeagle (Post 4626539)
Dee

On the Sweet Sixteen the display is on the front (which I guess you already know). It controls the needle up and down and you can set the speed on it. Plus it has 3 preset speeds that you can change to what is comfortable for you (I'm not explaining it very well though). I'm not really sure if there are any real differences between the machines.