Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   HUG/Love/memory quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/hug-love-memory-quilts-t102528.html)

jaciqltznok 02-23-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I am hoping others have pics to share, too. I am working on a memory quilt right now (just have a few blocks done) and I'm curious what others have done.

All of yours are really good. I love the backing on the first one.

I would love to see pix of the ones others are making, have made.
I have a friend who just finished making a jewel box out of her dads ties..it is so pretty!

gramabiese 02-23-2011 08:38 PM

that is a great idea, thanks for sharing.

azwendyg 02-23-2011 08:43 PM

I'm working on my first memory quilts right now. Two for 8 and 11 year old children whose dad passed away 2 weeks ago... I'm using pants, shirts and ties.

jaciqltznok 02-23-2011 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
I'm working on my first memory quilts right now. Two for 8 and 11 year old children whose dad passed away 2 weeks ago... I'm using pants, shirts and ties.

be sure to share pix! especially if you are using mixed fabrics in the same quilt...love to see that!

BETTY62 02-23-2011 09:17 PM

Beautiful quilts. You have given love back to the families of those who have gone on ahead. God bless you.

funquilter 02-23-2011 09:56 PM

I will be watching - I would like to use my husbands ties and shirts for a quilt but can't decided on a pattern.

NannySandy 02-23-2011 10:10 PM

My precious Dad died December was 5 yrs ago. My Mom has not been able to part with his clothes. I talked her into letting me take them and make her a quilt, so she will have the comfort of it being made from Daddy's clothes. I had the hardest time cutting his shirts. I would start to cut, then hug his shirts crying. It took a couple of months for me to get past that phase. I have now cut 26 squares of fabric, but not rushing to do this. Its taking me a while. However, I have come to realize this is part of my healing process as well. I will have enough material left over to make my 3 sisters and myself lap quilts also. Mama knows about her quilt but my sisters have no idea. I can hardly wait to surprise them next Christmas. I want to be able to give them to each one of my sisters at the same time. When cutting, I have to keep reminding myself, "the end product will be worth this". And it will!

jaciqltznok 02-23-2011 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by NannySandy
My precious Dad died December was 5 yrs ago. My Mom has not been able to part with his clothes. I talked her into letting me take them and make her a quilt, so she will have the comfort of it being made from Daddy's clothes. I had the hardest time cutting his shirts. I would start to cut, then hug his shirts crying. It took a couple of months for me to get past that phase. I have now cut 26 squares of fabric, but not rushing to do this. Its taking me a while. However, I have come to realize this is part of my healing process as well. I will have enough material left over to make my 3 sisters and myself lap quilts also. Mama knows about her quilt but my sisters have no idea. I can hardly wait to surprise them next Christmas. I want to be able to give them to each one of my sisters at the same time. When cutting, I have to keep reminding myself, "the end product will be worth this". And it will!

Thank you for sharing..and it is a healing process..and the end product will be sensational!

Jim 02-23-2011 11:45 PM

My Avatar is a quilt made using my Dad's shirts....I've made a few hundred memory quilts and have an order now for 2 more. I don't know how to link to the page I posted on Nov 25, 10 03:34:22...named memory quilt using dad's shirts. I love making them..sometimes it get's bit sentimental and I have to take extra time with it.the two orders I have now I have had for over a month but plan to have them finished for Mothers Day...its for 2 daughters of a dear dear friend...she died in December

jaciqltznok 02-23-2011 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
My Avatar is a quilt made using my Dad's shirts....I've made a few hundred memory quilts and have an order now for 2 more. I don't know how to link to the page I posted on Nov 25, 10 03:34:22...named memory quilt using dad's shirts. I love making them..sometimes it get's bit sentimental and I have to take extra time with it.the two orders I have now I have had for over a month but plan to have them finished for Mothers Day...its for 2 daughters of a dear dear friend...she died in December

that is a lovely quilt..be sure to post pix of the new ones..I know you will do something wonderful for the girls!