Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I am a "theme" quilting kind of gal! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-am-%22theme%22-quilting-kind-gal-t67521.html)

joan_quilts 09-30-2010 05:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, I seem to be drawn to a theme for quilts. For example, I have made John Deere quilts using the JD fabric. It seems I go for a theme when I am putting together a quilt top. I usually start with one theme fabric and then add color from there.

It could be a flower theme, a critter theme, but, to keep me inspired, I like to use some kind of fabric that I can turn into a theme.

Am I odd or do other quilters go for something with a theme? I can't really bring myself to do a crazy quilt because I don't see a pattern! LOL

Just curious how others decide on making a quilt top.

grammyp 09-30-2010 05:19 AM

Nice quilt. My grandsons would love it.

My patterns depend on who the quilt is for, and what I have available at the time.

cjk 09-30-2010 05:21 AM

Cute quilt. I'm not really a theme person myself. Can't seem to make myself buy the fabric.

joan_quilts 09-30-2010 05:25 AM

I got this quilt all hand quilted and ready to go for our little towns Folk Festival in October. I took me about a month from start to finish to get this one done, of course I worked 6-8 hours a day hand quilting! LOL I am just glad I have it done and ready to be judged.

wolfkitty 09-30-2010 05:28 AM

I tend to group my fabric for a quilt by either color groupings or by something like dogs, cats, flowers or things like that. Is that a theme? I only rarely use 'commercial' themes, like brand names or Disney. But I like yours. It is very well done, and I like the colors.

tooMuchFabric 09-30-2010 05:35 AM

Any thing that gets you making a quilt is a Good Thing!!

Chigger Holler Quilter 09-30-2010 05:35 AM

You did a very nice job on your quilt! If you like the theme fabric and do such a nice job...why do you want to change? If you think you're ready to branch out...stretch the creative juices a little look at the pictures posted here for ideas. I also browse through magazines and lurk in quilt shops watching for patterns and color combinations that "speak" to me. Keep up the good work! I could picture a log cabin, four or nine patch inside those stars!

MamaBear61 09-30-2010 05:38 AM

I also am drawn to doing quilts that have a theme, but have done a few without having a "focus" fabric. Your JD quilt is wonderful.

KathyAire 09-30-2010 05:39 AM

Very nice quilt. I do a theme if I'm making something for a specific thing. For instance, I made a quilt like yours for a mixed breed dog rescue group. I put fabric with different dogs in each star. I called it 'I Heart Mutts'.

quiltingaz 09-30-2010 05:45 AM

Like others I do both theme and focus fabric/color quilts. Right now I am doing a quilt all in blue for my parents. I just finished butterfly quilts for GD's. I have done Cars for GS, NASCAR for a friend.