Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I Cannot Live Without Books (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-cannot-live-without-books-t282552.html)

melodyr 09-28-2016 07:17 AM

I Cannot Live Without Books

1 Attachment(s)
My nephew has some special friends who are expecting a baby and he wanted a special quilt. They are readers and he thought a book themed quilt would be appropriate.We scoured the internet for specific book fabrics and I haven't been brave enough to add up what we have in this project. The 'Little Prince' fabric came from South Korea. The 'Knights and Fair Ladies' came from Australia. The 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' and 'Matilda' both came from Great Britain. I paid $21 for the 'Harry Potter' fat quarter on Ebay (*gasp*) There was other HP fabric out there cheaper, but he wanted that specific pattern.

We also had to have 4 leaf clovers somewhere on the quilt.

I was a bit nervous about trying to pull all of these vastly different fabrics together in one cohesive quilt, but it actually worked nicely. I did a simple machine criss-cross quilting to showcase the fabrics instead of the quilting.

All in all, we have
The knights ...representing King Arthur, Ivanhoe and Game of Thrones
Harry Potter
Monsters....Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy
Matilda
Dr. Seuss
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Space...representing Bradbury, Asimov, Clarke...etc.
Alice in Wonderland
Wizard of Oz
Where the Wild Things Are
Little Prince
Bows and arrows...representing, Robin Hood, Hunger Games, Peter Pan and westerns

While this is a quilt for a baby, it isn't an infant quilt.

The dedication on the back says
"I cannot Live Without Books"...Thomas Jefferson

We lose ourselves in books.
Sometimes we find ourselves there too.
May you always find a little piece of yourself
In every book you open.

osewme 09-28-2016 07:34 AM

What a wonderful quilt. You really did good on it. I love the green & yellow sashing, background & borders. It really makes the stars pop. They are going to love this one.

QuiltnNan 09-28-2016 07:43 AM

nicely done

Tartan 09-28-2016 08:07 AM

​Cute quilt!

BrendaK 09-28-2016 08:21 AM

What a super job you did. This quilt is delightful and I am sure that the parents will love it. This is a quilt that the child will have even when he (she) is no longer a baby. BrendaK

bearisgray 09-28-2016 08:24 AM

What a meaningful quilt! (Expensive, too!)

crafty pat 09-28-2016 08:28 AM

Love the quilt, so pretty and you did a great job.

Kathy T. 09-28-2016 09:28 AM

Wow! I love books and I love this quilt!!

cashs_mom 09-28-2016 09:36 AM

What a wonderful quilt!

I can't live without books either. In fact this evening I'm hitting the used book store because I'm running low on reading material!

AngeliaNR 09-28-2016 09:36 AM

Wow! I teach Children's Literature, so this is very special to me. Great job.