Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I forgot! My students gave me a quilt in June! Here it is. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-forgot-my-students-gave-me-quilt-june-here-t60507.html)

barnbum 08-21-2010 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mimee4
Such a warm surprise. The parent is someone special. No wonder the kids were a joy.

Well--the kids were all a joy (most of the time), but boy was it a rough year with parents. It was only 3 sets of parents out of 24 and one finished with a nasty email after the school year had ended. The admin said to consider the source and to not reply because it'd never make a difference--it'd only make things worse.

I'm about ready to start another year; I don't feel ready, I feel gun shy. Thank goodness we have a very supportive administration or things could have been so much more difficult. Sigh... it always bugs me that so few can cause such havoc in my heart. The mom who organized this quilt is amazing!!!! :-D

I encourage my students to not spend one penny on me--that I have all I'll ever need. I suggest a gift of writing would be perfect. :wink: I received many of those (they always include a gift anyway :roll:) so need to go back and read them this week.

Here's one... I whited out the last name and it's my fault the right edge is missing a bit--the scanner did it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]100833[/ATTACH]

barnbum 08-21-2010 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
That is such a treasure. Remember these kids and when they are seniors let them see their tiny hands.

I'm wondering if, since these are 11 year olds at this point--if their hands are almost as big as they're going to get? Some of them have feet bigger than me! :lol:

gaigai 08-21-2010 02:19 AM

Aww, Karla, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more! I'm glad that your kids AND parents appreciate what a truly wonderful teacher and person you are!

lots2do 08-21-2010 03:16 AM

What a wonderful surprise!
I know what you mean about some parents sometimes. It's happened to me, too. A supportive administration makes all of the difference. All I can saw about one toxic parent is that I really feel sorry for the spouse...that person has it much worse than I did in the relatively short time I had to deal with the person. And...I don't think I'll get any siblings from that family! :)

loishe 08-21-2010 03:29 AM

The best thank you ever!!! A wonderful memory quilt.

barnbum 08-21-2010 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do
What a wonderful surprise!
I know what you mean about some parents sometimes. It's happened to me, too. A supportive administration makes all of the difference. All I can saw about one toxic parent is that I really feel sorry for the spouse...that person has it much worse than I did in the relatively short time I had to deal with the person. And...I don't think I'll get any siblings from that family! :)

Oh gosh--exactly!! All year I just shook my head at what her husband has to deal with!! He's a nice guy! And--in her last email she assured me I'll never have the last one of their kids. (I would have requested I don't have him.)The admin said--"see--there's the good news--you don't have to have the last one!" :lol: I guess there's LOTS of trouble with that one already--and he just finished 3rd. Oh boy!

MISHNJIM 08-21-2010 03:48 AM

I agree, don't let the few spoiled parents get under your skin. You had all the other parents that loved you and respected you. In fact, both of my kids had the same 1st grade teacher and I still keep in contact with her and so do my kids. My kids are now 20 & 19 and I consider that teacher a very good friend of our family.

You know what they say: There is always 1 in the bunch.

barnbum 08-21-2010 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
I agree, don't let the few spoiled parents get under your skin. You had all the other parents that loved you and respected you. In fact, both of my kids had the same 1st grade teacher and I still keep in contact with her and so do my kids. My kids are now 20 & 19 and I consider that teacher a very good friend of our family.

You know what they say: There is always 1 in the bunch.

One of the perks to this job is making new friends. :-D One of my best friends is a mom of a former student. And this summer I watched two former students from this year ride their horses in some shows close by--and I've gotten close with their moms too. A student I have this year--her mom and I got close when I had her sister two years ago. They came out a lot ot see the horses. And two other parents I felt close to--I had their oldest boys two years ago and I'll have their little sisters next year. :wink:

reach for the stars 2 08-21-2010 04:40 AM

Truly wonderful. You'll love the memories.

SueDor 08-21-2010 05:12 AM

Cute idea!