Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I was given permission to make mistakes on this quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-given-permission-make-mistakes-quilt-t152668.html)

dilyn 09-13-2011 09:17 AM

7 Attachment(s)
I was given permission to make mistakes on this quilt.

Two of my sisters said it was OK because you learn more from your mistakes than from you successes. So… here are just a few of the things I learned.

1. You really should start with a plan…winging it has it’s charms but it sometimes creates ‘issues’ like running out of fabric, making blocks that don’t fit with other blocks, etc.
2. Borders are adjustable. Change the width if you need it narrower or wider but try to make it balanced.
3. If you get a ‘great idea’ in the middle of making your quilt (this happens often when you are winging it), give it LOTS of thought before you actually do it.
4. FMQ…I have read many times on this board – practice, practice, practice.. That’s what I did on this quilt. I learned very dense quilting gives you a stiff back…oops no, I meant a stiff quilt. Not a problem on this one, it’s going on a guest room bed. (Don’t want some guests to get too comfy).
5. In the wall hanging, I learned that thread painting should be done BEFORE you quilt. When you do it after sandwiching the fabrics, all that stitching shrinks the quilt unevenly. By the time I finished thread painting the center of the picture, it looked like it was wearing a ruffled border. I did not bind it (seemed like a waste of time for something I will eventually re-do) so I made a frame and stretched the ‘ruffles out and stapled that sucker down!

It may take a little time for the photos to load.

Quilt and wall hangning in place
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256077[/ATTACH]

completed quilt (held up by the 2 men in my life)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256078[/ATTACH]

wonky wall hanging mounted on a home made frame
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256079[/ATTACH]

closeup of some quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256081[/ATTACH]

back of quilt (those little green dots are thread turds where I stopped moving as I made a point and took too many stitches at the point) another thing learned!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256082[/ATTACH]

corner treatment... a quarter of a dresden plate.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256083[/ATTACH]

close up of thread painting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256088[/ATTACH]

ann clare 09-13-2011 09:19 AM

Love them both

grayma 09-13-2011 09:20 AM

Both are beautiful!

LoriEl 09-13-2011 09:21 AM

Both are beautiful, mistakes and all!

erstan947 09-13-2011 09:22 AM

Bedroom is beautiful.....Quilts are wonderful...did you custom do the headboard. Love the total look, I collect fans so if the quilt needs a home at any time remember me!!!:):):):)

dilyn 09-13-2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Bedroom is beautiful.....Quilts are wonderful...did you custom do the headboard. Love the total look, I collect fans so if the quilt needs a home at any time remember me!!!:):):):)

I will remember...Yes, I did the headboard a long time ago. just chip board covered with foam and padding. I made the buttons by slipping a little batting and a penny inside a tiny yo-yo and them hot glued them down.

LeslieFrost 09-13-2011 09:28 AM

Absolutely gorgeous! You are very creative!

Jammin' Jane 09-13-2011 09:32 AM

WoW! They look awesome!

quilter68 09-13-2011 09:34 AM

WOW oh WOW! No matter what you say this is a fabulous quilt and wall hanging. Love the scene, love the fabrics and the quilting is good.
I understand about too much quilting. The least amount of quilting is perfect for me.
Again, this is a really great quilt and wall hanging!

kateyb 09-13-2011 09:35 AM

Love the fan on the quilt. Pretty quilts.