Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I grabbed up two vintage quilts today! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-grabbed-up-two-vintage-quilts-today-t43685.html)

Riley 04-23-2010 04:37 PM

If I might stick my 3 cents worth in here, please?
If you use "today's" fabric to repair them then they will be dated as of today. It makes no matter how old they are, the quilts are always dated with the last fabric used on them.

So, if the age of the quilts & fabric are important to you, then you
would need to find vintage fabric of the same age to repair them with. Other wise , they loose any antiquity they have. Just so you know!

They are indeed beauties!

MaryStoaks 04-23-2010 04:55 PM

Beautiful quilts!

wvdek 04-23-2010 05:06 PM

Oh wow. Two great scrappy quilts. Good for you.

no1jan 04-23-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Riley
If you use "today's" fabric to repair them then they will be dated as of today. It makes no matter how old they are, the quilts are always dated with the last fabric used on them.

would need to find vintage fabric of the same age to repair them with. Other wise , they loose any antiquity they have. Just so you know!

They are truly beautiful quilts.

I'm very glad that Riley added this bit of knowledge. I never knew that. See you learn something on this board every day.

Enjoy the quilts, it's like a mystery unfolding finding the history of them.

barnbum 04-23-2010 05:28 PM

Hmmm...what are you going to do with them? I have three old quilts--they're on a spare bed under a bedspread so nothing happens to them. They're no fun there. So--where will you put them?

Honey 04-23-2010 05:37 PM

WOW!! What a find. The second one looks like it has flour sack fabric in it. A couple look like dresses I had as a baby in 1951.

cindygale 04-23-2010 05:46 PM

love finding treasures..they both are sure pretty :-D

oldswimmer 04-23-2010 05:46 PM

Love both of them! Great finds!

Rachelcb80 04-23-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Riley

Thank you very much for putting in your 3 cents! How these quilts will be dated is somewhat important to me so I will stay away from using any current day fabrics in the repairs. That is the kind of info I love learning here! I like the idea of another poster to cut off some of the larger blue border area and salvage that fabric for new binding. I'm gonna sit on this for awhile though. I can't do any harm by waiting and thinking it out fully. :)

Rachelcb80 04-23-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Hmmm...what are you going to do with them? I have three old quilts--they're on a spare bed under a bedspread so nothing happens to them. They're no fun there. So--where will you put them?

Well right now they're folded and laying over a quilt rack. I'm in the process of setting up a sewing room (yeah that's right, my OWN space :)) and will display them in a corner on the rack most likely. I know it's best to keep them out of direct light but if I put them away, what's the point in having them? I bought them to enjoy so that's what I'm gonna do. :)